Opticallimits
next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Canon EOS (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM (/showthread.php?tid=1054)

Pages: 1 2 3

next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM - Klaus - 09-23-2015

Nice and tiny ...

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/960-canon_m22_2

next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM - Brightcolours - 09-23-2015

"It is worth to note that the close focus performance seems to be a bit worse though (just from visual observation)."

That is most probably true. Wide open, the lens is pretty sharp also in the corners, just not when you are making close ups. The MTF testing is done at a relatively close focus distance due to the short focal length, so that may explain the less than good corners.

Using the lens with a 10mm extension tube does show it gets progressively worse with shorter distances.

next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM - Rover - 09-23-2015

Yeah! Some kind of review at last! A tiny little suggestion though - why don't you make a separate sub-category for EOS M under the Canon EOS category - for example, Nikon 1 and Sony NEX have their own ones. I understand that it's not going to be very populous, but nor is something like Leica M anyways...

next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM - Klaus - 09-24-2015

Quote:Yeah! Some kind of review at last! A tiny little suggestion though - why don't you make a separate sub-category for EOS M under the Canon EOS category - for example, Nikon 1 and Sony NEX have their own ones. I understand that it's not going to be very populous, but nor is something like Leica M anyways...

Will do one the other reviews are there.

Hey, I was on vacation so what do you expect in terms of reviews? :-)

Apparently Markus wasn't ready yet ... sorry for that.

Quote:"It is worth to note that the close focus performance seems to be a bit worse though (just from visual observation)."

That is most probably true. Wide open, the lens is pretty sharp also in the corners, just not when you are making close ups. The MTF testing is done at a relatively close focus distance due to the short focal length, so that may explain the less than good corners.

Using the lens with a 10mm extension tube does show it gets progressively worse with shorter distances.

Actually the "infinity" samples are slightly softer in the corners than I would expect from the charts but it's not enough to be suspicious. 

next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM - borisbg - 09-24-2015

Klaus, how would you rate your experience with EOSM compared OMD?

Quote:Klaus, how would you rate your experience with EOSM compared OMD?

The M3 has grown on me over time but it is still not a good camera. The AF remains comparatively slow, the RAW buffer is terrible, the shutter feels coarse and the handling has its issues.

Yet the results are decent and that's where it counts after all.

My biggest gripes with the EM5II are the viewfinder and time-to-shoot.

Honestly I prefer the Panasonics in MFT land.

Fuji remains king though.

next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM - borisbg - 09-24-2015

I guess IQ by itself is not a selling point.

Time-to-shot you mean slow to power on, or it takes too much time to record the image?

EVF- refresh rate, or magnification ratio?

Quote:I guess IQ by itself is not a selling point.

Time-to-shot you mean slow to power on, or it takes too much time to record the image?

EVF- refresh rate, or magnification ratio?

Well, it all depends. The handling of the M3 has its issues but once you adjust to it, it's "livable". You just feel that it isn't meant to really serious photographers. A really nice aspect is the tiny size. But yes, other than IQ the M3 is -say- 3-4 years behind the competition.

About the EM5II:

It's very slow to power on the viewfinder and that's with disabled auto-detection (EVF/screen).

I also noticed a bigger than usual gap between taking the picture and the actual recording - at least in electronic shutter mode.

The viewfinder lacks the clarity/contrast/dynamic range that you have e.g. on the Sony A7r or Fuji X-T1.

Other than the (great) IBIS, the EM5II is not a bit better than the GH-3 that I had before. In fact I would prefer the GH-3.

The EM5II is a beauty and the build quality is great but for me it doesn't cut it due to the issues.

next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM - borisbg - 09-25-2015

I started thinking again for something more compact for easy travel option. Unless the trip is photography specific the D800 set up is too much. I was thinking about omd-m10 14-42 ii R (given sell off prices) or Fuji xe-2, or xt10 19-55. I have to have built in flash.