Opticallimits
Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR announced - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Fujifilm (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR announced (/showthread.php?tid=1461)

Pages: 1 2

Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR announced - Klaus - 06-16-2014

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf18_135mmf35_56_r_lm_ois_wr/

Pretty impressive OIS (5 f-stops efficiency). Fast AF it seems.

A bit pricey though at 899 US$.

The MTFs look fairly decent (for 45 lp/mm).

Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR announced - Brightcolours - 06-16-2014

The whole front half of the lens design is the same as that of the Canon STM version (bar an aspherical surface), so this lens probably is also a very decent super zoom.

I think that with Fuji the AF speed mainly depends on the camera body (X-T1 being faster), besides the slow 35mm lens?

The Fuji AF motors are fairly different from lens to lens. It's not quite like e.g. Canon Ring-USM which behaves roughly the same across the range.

The camera plays a role, of course - e.g. on the X-T1 the focus doesn't really oscillate around the focus point anymore.  

Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR announced - thxbb12 - 06-16-2014

It's a big lens especially given it's designed for mirrorless.

For instance, the Canon equivalent is slightly smaller and lighter while the Pentax being much smaller (although not great optically; it's got WR however) :
  • Fuji: 76 x 98mm, 490g
  • Canon: 77 x 96mm, 480g
  • Pentax: 74 x 76mm, 405g

Quote: 

For instance, the Canon equivalent is slightly smaller and lighter while the Pentax being much smaller (although not great optically; it's got WR however) :

Bigger ... is better ... (as a rule of the thumb)

Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR announced - thxbb12 - 06-16-2014

Quote:<div>
Bigger ... is better ... (as a rule of the thumb)

Sure and taking it to the extreme we end up with something humongous like the Zeiss Otus. To get this 5% better quality you end up with a design 2-3x larger/heavier and 4-5x more expensive.
Of course, it's a gross exaggeration, but I believe there is a "good enough" threshold where it would be difficult (in real life) to distinguish pictures taken with an excellent lens from a good one while the good one would be quite a bit smaller and lighter.
For instance, I'd be happy to pay more for very good compact designs.

When going through my favorite shots from 2013 and 2014 (so far), I noticed an interesting side-effect related to this. During 2013 my gear was full frame (D800) with plenty of large, heavy lenses. Since November 2013, I fully switched to MFT.
Very few of my fav shots were captured with the FF gear. In fact > 85% of my preferred shots were taken with MFT. The reason? I shot much more than before. The reason is that I enjoy it much more and the small package means I carry it with me most of the time. No more hesitation "should I lug around my gear or not?".
While being fairly evident, it's an interesting observation and I didn't think the difference in terms of usage would be so great.

Finally, here is an example of very small design (albeit not bright). Take this and a 12-32 and you're covered from 24 to 200 (FF equiv) in a tiny MFT package.

</div>

Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR announced - Brightcolours - 06-16-2014

Quote: 

The Canon is designed for 44mm distance from the sensor, the Fuji for 18mm. That makes the whole back part of the optics very different in design, and makes the Canon, when you include the extra distance, bigger (I bet they are similar at 135mm).  The width is similar (just 2mm in it, same filter size), as is the weight. Not surprising the Canon and Fuji are about the same size (same front lens design).

The Pentax is a weak lens... The Fuji is weather sealed too.

Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR announced - JJ_SO - 06-16-2014

As far as I understand the text on DPReview, they use a linear motor to move the focus unit. Quite a fast thing to do. To me, it doesn't appear expensive - getting an all-weather compact system may have a good price. I liked the Fuji when I saw and touched it. Sometimes it's a pity one can't play with all these nice toys  Rolleyes

Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR announced - joachim - 06-16-2014

Quote:Bigger ... is better ... (as a rule of the thumb)

Did I hear someone wisper Summicron-M?  It's actually not so big ...

Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR announced - JJ_SO - 06-16-2014

... and actually not zooming, no AFing, not weather sealed, not as "cheap" as the Fujinon...

Did you hear voices whispering? Do we need to be concerned? :blink: