Opticallimits
E-mount 'DSLR' coming - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Sony (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: E-mount 'DSLR' coming (/showthread.php?tid=1759)

Pages: 1 2

E-mount 'DSLR' coming - Klaus - 08-24-2013

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-first-image-of-the-new-ilc-3000-a3000-in-japan/

So the A-mount is dead beef ?

E-mount 'DSLR' coming - marco - 08-24-2013

It is more a zombie but that was clear after the first success of NEX cameras. You can use A-Mount cameras with a adapter and NEX cameras can be always get bigger. And the grip can be deeper. For big lenses it makes no big difference if you use a adapter. Hopefully the sensors will be more angle independent so more compact lenses are possible.

I think you should wait for more lens reviews to this new sensor. ;-)

E-mount 'DSLR' coming - Guest - 08-24-2013

Quote:http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-first-image-of-the-new-ilc-3000-a3000-in-japan/

So the A-mount is dead beef ?

No, as Sony has too much invested in A-mount. They are not just going to release 500mm F4, 50mm F1.4 Zeiss, update 70-400mm, 70-200mm and at the same time same year kill A-mount. 

Same rumor site that you quoted claims A77 replacement comes early next year. 

Second, this is not E-mount DSLR. It's E-mount mirrorless camera shapes like a traditional small DSLR for people who prefer that kind of ergonomics. 

E-mount 'DSLR' coming - popo - 08-24-2013

Since they first made the phase AF adapter, it was only a matter of time before you got a DSLR-like body for mirrorless. Longer term, I think this could mean the end of lower end alpha-mount bodies if NEX+adapter isn't too different in cost to making a DSLR body. Higher end bodies may continue to exist for build quality reasons.

Alpha-mount lenses can be considered separately from the bodies. As long as there is a good number of compatible bodies in active use I think they'll keep supporting that.

At the moment I feel only Sony have a transition path from DSLR to NEX, but it isn't going to happen overnight.

E-mount 'DSLR' coming - Klaus - 08-24-2013

Quote:No, as Sony has too much invested in A-mount. They are not just going to release 500mm F4, 50mm F1.4 Zeiss, update 70-400mm, 70-200mm and at the same time same year kill A-mount. 

Same rumor site that you quoted claims A77 replacement comes early next year. 

Second, this is not E-mount DSLR. It's E-mount mirrorless camera shapes like a traditional small DSLR for people who prefer that kind of ergonomics. 

The SLTs are also no DSLRs (which is why I also used the quotation marks anyway).

Since there are also rumors that Sony will abandon the SLT approach as well as the mirrors there is not that much room anymore for a true A-mount camera. Honestly if Sony can do phase detection in their mirrorless cameras anyway, they can just go NEX and offer an adapter. Two mirrorless systems just don't make much sense. We'll see anyway.

E-mount 'DSLR' coming - Guest - 08-24-2013

Quote:It's E-mount mirrorless camera shapes like a traditional small DSLR for people who prefer that kind of ergonomics. 
Yes, the form factor basically resembles the Panasonic G6/GH3 range.

E-mount 'DSLR' coming - joachim - 08-24-2013

Quote:The SLTs are also no DSLRs (which is why I also used the quotation marks anyway).

Since there are also rumors that Sony will abandon the SLT approach as well as the mirrors there is not that much room anymore for a true A-mount camera. Honestly if Sony can do phase detection in their mirrorless cameras anyway, they can just go NEX and offer an adapter. Two mirrorless systems just don't make much sense. We'll see anyway.
Olympus is rumored to release a phase detect mFT camera with a FT adapter in a month or so.  End of FT.

E-mount 'DSLR' coming - Klaus - 08-25-2013

Alpha has a fraction of the NEX market share ...

E-mount 'DSLR' coming - Brightcolours - 08-25-2013

The 3 big plusses for DSLRs are:
  • Optical view finder
  • Fast PD AF for fast focus lock and fast focus tracking
  • Big lens range with long tele lenses and shallow DOF.
Sony already did away with the OVF advantage, for "PD AF in video". Sigh. Plus point for the SLT approach: camera overheating quickly due to constant live view and closed off sensor compartment.

The PD AF tracking for the current SLT cameras is not impressive at all. Which is strange, as the A700 was great in focus tracking. So, just another reason why the A99 and A77 are not a success. 

On the lens range, Sony has killed off some great lenses for the A-mount, and not introduced all that many. So also on that front, the SLT range is not really all that attractive for serious amateurs and professionals. It seems that Sony has been making all the wrong decisions to make the A-mount they took over from Minolta a success. Kinda sad (considering some of the great Minotal lens designs), but it is just one of those things.

So since Sony seems to have the worst strategy, it will only take time before the A-mount goes the 4/3rds way?

E-mount 'DSLR' coming - marco - 08-25-2013

Oh, I like your irony, especially the A700 tracking part. ;-)