Opticallimits
NEX 6 vs NEX 7 (preliminary comment) - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Sony (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: NEX 6 vs NEX 7 (preliminary comment) (/showthread.php?tid=1930)

Pages: 1 2

NEX 6 vs NEX 7 (preliminary comment) - Klaus - 04-23-2013

I just did a quick test with the NEX 6 with the 16/2.8 (using the same RAW converter).

I still need to do some checks so don't hold your breath yet.

However, if you think that the results are a magnitude different you will be disappointed.

The NEX 6 seems to be a bit better at large apertures (outer region) - which is disappointing from a NEX 7 perspective, of course. However, the chart don't look all that different.

NEX 6 vs NEX 7 (preliminary comment) - Brightcolours - 04-23-2013

What about a Zeiss 24mm, for instance?

I don't have a Zeiss 24mm in my stock.

The 35/1.8 would be a candidate (actually this one was intended to be used for the test) but ... as mentioned ...

NEX 6 vs NEX 7 (preliminary comment) - vodanh1982 - 04-23-2013

Why 16mm f/2.8? It is the worst lens to test. People know it is very soft at corner with all NEX. 

NEX 6 vs NEX 7 (preliminary comment) - Guest - 04-23-2013

There was never any proof that results were going to be any different on the 16 MP sensor.  This was all made-cop claim to start with

Quote:There was never any proof that results were going to be any different on the 16 MP sensor.  This was all made-cop claim to start with

Ahem ...

I mentioned that the NEX 6 'seems to be a bit better at large apertures (outer region)'.

Or in other words a 16mp camera outperforms a 24mp at large apertures. There is no scaling effect whatsoever here - normally there should be one - especially considering the difference in Megapixels.

If you look at the various reviews you will notice that the NEX7 struggles at large apertures, not when stopping down.

Anyway, I will do another test to verify the finding anyway. 

Quote:Why 16mm f/2.8? It is the worst lens to test. People know it is very soft at corner with all NEX. 

Well, this is exactly the point.

As also mentioned, I originally planned to use the 35/1.8.

NEX 6 vs NEX 7 (preliminary comment) - joachim - 04-24-2013

Quote:Well, this is exactly the point.

As also mentioned, I originally planned to use the 35/1.8.

Hmm, I am lost.  I remember your discussing a couple of lenses, one would have thought to show good corner performances which didn't test well on the NEX7.  The question was whether this is the NEX7's fault or the lens was just not as good as imagined.

Taking something which is a known dog will not answer that question, me thinks.  What am I missing.

Thanks

Joachim

NEX 6 vs NEX 7 (preliminary comment) - Klaus - 04-24-2013

Quote:Hmm, I am lost.  I remember your discussing a couple of lenses, one would have thought to show good corner performances which didn't test well on the NEX7.  The question was whether this is the NEX7's fault or the lens was just not as good as imagined.

Taking something which is a known dog will not answer that question, me thinks.  What am I missing.

Thanks

Joachim

Gnnnah, as mentioned I wanted to do it with the 35/1.8 - which seems to be a pretty good lens actually.

I took the 16/2.8 'because I have it'. Alternatively I could have taken the 16-50.

I will try to get the 20/2.8 as well.

So upon final publication there'll be 3 lenses tested on the 6 & 7.

NEX 6 vs NEX 7 (preliminary comment) - joachim - 04-25-2013

Quote:Gnnnah, as mentioned I wanted to do it with the 35/1.8 - which seems to be a pretty good lens actually.

I took the 16/2.8 'because I have it'. Alternatively I could have taken the 16-50.

I will try to get the 20/2.8 as well.

So upon final publication there'll be 3 lenses tested on the 6 & 7.
thanks for your clarification.  I am curious what you will finally come up with.