Opticallimits
Adobe's Office for Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Just Talk (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Adobe's Office for Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs (/showthread.php?tid=223)

Pages: 1 2

Adobe's Office for Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs - stoppingdown - 07-13-2017

Yesterday I received an invitation to participate to an Adobe poll about the most perceived needs for performance improvements in Lightroom. It recalled me that I didn't upgrade Lightroom for some time: I still have 

Lightroom version: 6.6 [ 1078672 ]
License: Perpetual

while I see that the latest is 6.10.1. Ok, let's go for an update. Since I'm an old-fashioned guy, I first checked for a manual download, found the upgrade bits, downloaded and launched. It failed with an obscure error code. So, I gave up and went with the specific upgrade tool Adobe Creative Cloud.

I hate it, and there are reasons for that. First, it usually has to upgrade itself, and it wouldn't be an issue, pity that I had to run it six times to complete the upgrade, and each time it got stuck and had to kill from the Activity Monitor of Mac OS X (plus, there are such a number of service daemons from Adobe that it's difficult to understand whether they are in a troubled state or not).

At last, I'm with the tool running. I ask to check for app updates... tah-dah! It says that Lightroom is up to date. What am I missing - or all the whole stuff is severely broken, in addition to be overcomplicated?

Adobe's Office for Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs - JJ_SO - 07-13-2017

Exact the type of progress which keeps me out of Adobe's universe  :lol:

I remember each time when a new version of Acrobat (another virus magnet on Windows) or Flash (best virus magnet ever) came out and it always neded a reboot of th eMac or PC. I also hate the mess Adobe needs to create in so many directories and folders. I'm not aware of any other Hydra-like acting software.

Adobe's Office for Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs - stoppingdown - 07-13-2017

For the record, I also tried all the hints listed here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-application-recognizing-available.html

and they don't work. I didn't go with the last one, uninstall and reinstall because I fear I'm going to lose all the preferences and I have to reinstall them from a backup.

Also tips listed here didn't work:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2302396

I had to uninistall Lightroom, reinstall it and then apply the manually downloaded patches. Ridiculous!

Adobe's Office for Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs - JJ_SO - 07-13-2017

Ridculous? No, just Adobe default update procedure.

:lol:

But there's one app programmer even worse: Reikan FoCal. About the same update complications, just to find out: the latest version I could legally use is not working with OS X 10.12  <_< No, one simply cannot place a note on a website....

Quote:Ridculous? No, just Adobe default update procedure.

:lol:

But there's one app programmer even worse: Reikan FoCal. About the same update complications, just to find out: the latest version I could legally use is not working with OS X 10.12  <_< No, one simply cannot place a note on a website....

Such issues of unannounced incompatibilities are rare, but they happen. That's why I've resorted that every major upgrade of the operating system is first performed on the cloned laptop, then I try everything (at least to see if it starts, and the major functions of the major applications) and only after the check I upgrade my primary laptop. Unfortunately the procedure takes some time.

FoCal started as usual.

But it said "camera not supported" although I used it 2015 - 2016 regularly.

The excuse of Dave of Reikan "Right - the main issue is with the tethering. El Capitan was the 'new' OS when 2.0 was released but we can't guess ahead of time what Apple is going to do in their next OS (and neither can Nikon and Canon who provide the comms software that FoCal relies upon)."

So far, so normal. What i didn't like, was: REikan knew already but din't place a note on their site. What I also don't like: By paying nearly double for the Pro-version, I got blocked form access to their database after one year and should pay again to get access to data I uploaded to their at the time pretty slim and small database. This kind of business behaviour is simply narrow-minded. Reikan appears to be very greedy.

Adobe's Office for Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs - obican - 07-13-2017

Lightroom, I quit after this one:

https://twitter.com/obicankenobi/status/544554726118129664

Adobe's Office for Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs - stoppingdown - 07-14-2017

They really must have a bad, bad, bad quality assurance process, because I almost don't recall a new release that didn't introduce a regression. Fortunately, with the exception of one case, they were minor in my perspective, in the sense that don't break my workflow. For instance, upgrading to 6.10.1 the map viewer is continuously flipping between the correct map view and the screen saying that there's no internet connection. But I have a working internet connection, and in any case, even though the network was temporarily down, if I'm not changing the map why couldn't I still see the cached tiles?

I'd gladly migrate to another software, but the problem is that no other application is capable to import the post-processing instructions preserving exactly the same quality. And I'm constantly processing also the old photos.

Adobe's Office for Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs - JJ_SO - 07-14-2017

Well, that's also my situation - and a bit worse. I still work with Aperture for the cameras supported by it. For the X-T2's RAWs and compressed RAWs I was forced (which I always hate) to switch or sell the camera. Capture One does an outstanding job in RAW processing, but to call the asset management part at least "basic" would be too much of a promise.

It's lousy in many aspects. The manual is only in English, translations in some parts are misleading or causing errors. "Yes, but there is Media Pro" - well, for another 200$ get another app with dark interface and too small fonts? And still not offering the full power of an Aperture DAM? And still being another app (to start up, to organize, to update, to maintain...)

I want one app, that does all and all at minimum good or better level. Reliable and solid. Aperture was that. Reading your LR experiences, it appears Apple stopped the only "for my needs working as wished" app available.