Opticallimits
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 12-24mm f/4 HSM DG ART - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Canon EOS (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: next PZ lens test report: Sigma 12-24mm f/4 HSM DG ART (/showthread.php?tid=245)

Pages: 1 2 3

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 12-24mm f/4 HSM DG ART - Klaus - 06-24-2017

It started promising ... but then it ended in ... perhaps not.

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/1012-sigma1224f4art

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 12-24mm f/4 HSM DG ART - JJ_SO - 06-24-2017

excellent cliffhanger! "but then...*  ^_^

"the the borders"

Thanks for your test and findings. We obviously didn't have the same lens and I tried it only less than half an hour, but I thought I was seeking for flares, ghostings, fringing and all the stuff I knew from the Nikkor - and I was positively "disappointed" not to find these, at least not in a all too obvious way. But maybe I was too careful? When looking at my pictures in the range of 18-24 mm I could not see fiel curvature - but then, the idea occurred when the subject is perspectively, that curvature might even help to increase DoF?

Edit: I was looking at your 7 sample pictures and hoping to find some "ghostings" to proof of curvature. Not to defend the lens - I just want to know what it looks like your were talking about?

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 12-24mm f/4 HSM DG ART - Rover - 06-24-2017

Ew...

Looks like an f/4-5.6 lens after all. Smile But I guess for many people it'll be practically a 12mm prime anyway. Tongue (but then, the distortion... ZOMG)

P. S. No 21MP results this time around?

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 12-24mm f/4 HSM DG ART - Brightcolours - 06-24-2017

There are no 18 or 24mm sample images (except a leaf close up), so a bit difficult to look for the field curvature there...

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 12-24mm f/4 HSM DG ART - Brightcolours - 06-24-2017

Quote:Ew...

Looks like an f/4-5.6 lens after all. Smile But I guess for many people it'll be practically a 12mm prime anyway. Tongue (but then, the distortion... ZOMG)

P. S. No 21MP results this time around?
For prime, I'd rather look at the Irix 11mm f4 instead Wink

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 12-24mm f/4 HSM DG ART - davidmanze - 06-24-2017

Very good real world review, especially given the detailed info on the lens's field of curvature which causes a little "mayhem" at the longer focal lengths, most reviews mention nothing of that genre.

I'm not sure if a compromise setting, (putting the focus point at the 1/1/3rd of the way from the frame edge) would help ease the corner/ edge situation,  probably? 

Huge lens though and heavy at 1.15 Kgs....this is a lens you can get round by using two lighter primes or a prime and a zoom, there's the Samyang 14mm F2.8,  (one stop brighter for peanuts for example)   

On a trip this lens would be a pain to carry coupled added to your standard kit!

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 12-24mm f/4 HSM DG ART - Rover - 06-24-2017

Quote:For prime, I'd rather look at the Irix 11mm f4 instead Wink
No AF, no sell for me (YMMV of course). I'd like to see a 12mm AF prime from someone to replace my 14mm Sigma (which is not stellar in itself, albeit passable, but also comes a little too close in the FL department to the 16-35mm lens that I call my bread and butter unit...)

Tamron, I'm looking at you.

Quote:No AF, no sell for me (YMMV of course). I'd like to see a 12mm AF prime from someone to replace my 14mm Sigma (which is not stellar in itself, albeit passable, but also comes a little too close in the FL department to the 16-35mm lens that I call my bread and butter unit...)

Tamron, I'm looking at you.
Klaus mentions that the Sigma tends to overshoot AF?

Quote: 

Very good real world review, especially given the detailed info on the lens's field of curvature which causes a little "mayhem" at the longer focal lengths, most reviews mention nothing of that genre....

Actually, I would like see some evidence how it looks like and how big's the impact. 7 samples are not a lot, I was scrolling through 48 pictures (less than an hour? ha! 20 minutes - so really nothing to call it a test) and simply could not see these problems in real world. But I realized I have less high expectations on sharpness as there is so much to be seen on the picture - I simply didn't bother enough to see the structures of leaves close to the lens' ∞ position.

Although I tried the lens, I also think of looking at the Irix would be worth to do. As for lack of AF: I haven't tried a DLSR-body (so far) which had no troubles to AF these UWA reliably. Apparently the grass is not much greener at the Canon side of the hills, and I think there are not much subjects in UWA situations which are moving so quickly. Personally, I don't see the value of PDAF in that region to be a ,must have'.