Opticallimits
Canon 600D announced - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Just Talk (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Canon 600D announced (/showthread.php?tid=3379)

Canon 600D announced - Reinier - 02-13-2011

Hello there,

And again a new camera announced, the 600D. I wonder what they can add to a camera, which we are missing at the moment. I am not too keen about all these new features, but maybe I am old fashion?

What do you think, does it make sense to upgrade from the 550D?

Best wishes,

Reinier

Canon 600D announced - popo - 02-13-2011

[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1297627931' post='6081']

What do you think, does it make sense to upgrade from the 550D?[/quote]

From a 550D, probably not. From something much older, possibly.

The new features are welcome and to me this is more interesting than the 60D in a price/performance perspective. In the UK, the 600D price is already lower than the 60D street price, and it can only go down from there. I expect to get one for the tilting screen alone as that is something I've missed for a long time after jumping from Sony.

Canon 600D announced - genotypewriter - 02-13-2011

[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1297627931' post='6081']

What do you think, does it make sense to upgrade from the 550D?

[/quote]

Why side step and waste money? Go full frame. You'll see much bigger differences even if you get an old 5D.

GTW

Canon 600D announced - popo - 02-13-2011

[quote name='genotypewriter' timestamp='1297637056' post='6083']

Why side step and waste money? Go full frame. You'll see much bigger differences even if you get an old 5D.

GTW

[/quote]

Don't oversell the 5D1. It very much depends on what you do and it is no easy win. Having owned one in the past, I'd even take a 450D over the 5D1 for my uses.

At the risk of topic drift... since introduction on 60D, the tilt screen is now also available on the 600D. Could we also see it moving up? I'd like one on a future higher end camera (5D3?).

Canon 600D announced - genotypewriter - 02-14-2011

[quote name='popo' timestamp='1297640794' post='6085']

Don't oversell the 5D1. It very much depends on what you do and it is no easy win. Having owned one in the past, I'd even take a 450D over the 5D1 for my uses.

[/quote]

Well the OP was asking about going from a 550D to a 600D and he is "not too keen about the new features"... that leaves one with IQ. The 5D1 will definitely give better IQ than either of those two.

GTW

Canon 600D announced - PuxaVida - 02-14-2011

I think that, if it would be a first APS-C DSLR to buy, I' d get the 600D... But upgrading from 550D to 600D is a joke. I agree with GTW, go for the full frame if you want an upgrade.

Serkan

Canon 600D announced - Reinier - 02-14-2011

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. It wasn't meant as a personal question, but more as a general question if it would make sense to go for a new model everytime one comes out.

I own a 5D I and no other digital SLR. Altough I would love to have a camera with a articulated screen like the 60D. If it will be on the next 5D (III) then it still is not meant for me because of the price of a new 5D (II or III) body.

Best wishes,

Reinier

Canon 600D announced - popo - 02-14-2011

Particularly on the lower to mid range, I think more often than not an evolutionary upgrade is not really needed for a given person to consider. Moving to different positions in the chain will make a greater difference. The chances of upgrading every generation at higher end models is greater, simply as they tend to be much less frequent so the differences are greater.

Every body I've bought has been to get me new features that I could use that my existing ones don't do. On that note, the tilting screen is enough of a reason for me to get the 600D even though arguably I have "better" cameras already. A big note, image quality is not always the most important thing. I've said it before on a recent lens thread, but sometimes other features can make or break a shot more than marginal differences in image quality.

Canon 600D announced - Christos - 02-19-2011

[quote name='popo' timestamp='1297686422' post='6101']

Particularly on the lower to mid range, I think more often than not an evolutionary upgrade is not really needed for a given person to consider. Moving to different positions in the chain will make a greater difference. The chances of upgrading every generation at higher end models is greater, simply as they tend to be much less frequent so the differences are greater.

Every body I've bought has been to get me new features that I could use that my existing ones don't do. On that note, the tilting screen is enough of a reason for me to get the 600D even though arguably I have "better" cameras already. A big note, image quality is not always the most important thing. I've said it before on a recent lens thread, but sometimes other features can make or break a shot more than marginal differences in image quality.

[/quote]The one thing I am noticing is that Canon is not doing anything with their sensors like Nikon and Pentax have done, don't get me wrong I have the 5D II and it is fantastic but looking here

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II-vs-Pentax_K-5

it seems the K-5 is on par with it, who knows maybe they will surprise us with the 7D II and 5D III.

Canon 600D announced - popo - 02-20-2011

[quote name='Christos' timestamp='1298112088' post='6240']

The one thing I am noticing is that Canon is not doing anything with their sensors like Nikon and Pentax have done, don't get me wrong I have the 5D II and it is fantastic but looking here

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II-vs-Pentax_K-5

it seems the K-5 is on par with it, who knows maybe they will surprise us with the 7D II and 5D III.

[/quote]

I'm sure Canon are busy working on their next generation sensor. For now, it makes economic sense for them to continue using what they have. The 18MP unit in most current crop models can hold its own even with its relative age compared to the latest from Nikon or Pentax.

The 5D2 is somewhat older now, and even today I'd consider it isn't using the latest sensor technology from Canon (comparable to the 15MP 50D, not the 18MP unit commonly in use now). I would expect the 5D3 to rectify that. Before anyone misreads that, I'm talking about the basic technology, not sensor size aspects!

That comparison is over simplistic. While it does go over some spec aspects, it doesn't come close to telling the full story why you might choose one camera over the other.