Opticallimits
new len - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Just Talk (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: new len (/showthread.php?tid=3465)

new len - warwick - 12-30-2010

hi everyone i am new to this ok

can anyone help me with this i am looking am buyiny a macro len in the 90mm,100mm, or 105mm. what trould with any lens any has and which they like.

new len - Klaus - 12-30-2010

[quote name='warwick' timestamp='1293689879' post='5266']

can anyone help me with this i am looking am buyiny a macro len in the 90mm,100mm, or 105mm. what trould with any lens any has and which they like.

[/quote]

For which system ?

new len - Steinar1 - 12-30-2010

Is there not a minimum requirement for spelling and grammar? We should not have to guess what an intervenant is saying! Vieux loup

new len - Brightcolours - 12-30-2010

[quote name='Vieux loup' timestamp='1293704051' post='5274']

Is there not a minimum requirement for spelling and grammar? We should not have to guess what an intervenant is saying! Vieux loup

[/quote]

It is a bit hard to read, I agree. And I can't say I understand the last line, even after trying. But not everyone's English is upto a certain level... especially after a large consumption of alcoholic beverages.

Warwick:

You did not mention which brand of camera you are wanting that macro lens for.

In case of Canon:

[color="#000080"]* Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro, well made macro lens with good optics. Extends.

* Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro, good optics but not the most accurate with autofocus, not the most contrasty with back light. Extends.

* Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Di macro. Very good optics. Extends a lot, not the most impressive build quality. Slow, noisy AF which can hunt even in good light, but yet gives very accurate AF results. A joy to use with MF (great feel/precision with MF ring). Extends a lot, recessed front element means the use of the standard hood is (almost never) needed (which is good, as it is reflective).

* Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro. Very good optics, good with back light contrast. Silent and fast (for macro lens) AF, also very accurate. Does not extend with focussing. Only one that does not come with sun hood standard, so factor the hood in with the purchase rice (hood is advised as front element is exposed). Nice MF action.

* Canon EF 100mm f2.8 L IS USM Macro. Great optics, good with back light contrast. Silent and fast (for macro lens) AF, very accurate. Does not extend while focussing, sealed and with effective IS. Nice MF action.[/color]

[color="#006400"]My picks: Canon 100mm f2.8 USM (very good optically, does not extend, silent AF), quite affordable. Tamron 90mm f2.8 (very nice optics, nicest MF feel), affordable. Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS USM, top optics, top AF + IS, but most expensive.[/color]

In case of Nikon:

[color="#000080"]* Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro, well made macro lens with good optics. Extends.

* Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro, good optics but not the most accurate with autofocus, not the most contrasty with back light. Extends.

* Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Di macro. Very good optics. Extends a lot, not the most impressive build quality. Slow, noisy AF which can hunt even in good light, but yet gives very accurate AF results. A joy to use with MF (great feel/precision with MF ring). Extends a lot, recessed front element means the use of the standard hood is (almost never) needed (which is good, as it is reflective).

* Nikon AF-S 105mm f2.8 VR. Good optics, does not extend. VR is mainly nice for portrait/short tele lens uses. Expensive.

[/color]

[color="#006400"]My picks: Tamron 90mm f2.8 (very nice optics, nicest MF feel), Tokina 100mm f2.8 (good optics, as well built as the Nikon (but extends and noiser AF), Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR (not better optically yet more expensive, but interesting because it does not extend and VR is nice for other uses than macro).[/color]

In case of Pentax:

[color="#000080"]* Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro, good optics but not the most accurate with autofocus, not the most contrasty with back light. Extends.

* Pentax SMC-D FA 100mm f2.8 macro. Good optics, but not really special. extends.[/color]

[color="#006400"]My pick: The Tamron 90mm.[/color]

In case of Sony:

[color="#000080"]* Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro, good optics but not the most accurate with autofocus, not the most contrasty with back light. Extends.

* Sony 100mm f2.8 macro. Great optics, extends.

[/color]

[color="#006400"]My picks: Sony 100mm f2.8 (lens all round, great optics), Tamron 90mm (very good optics, very nice MF action, and more affordable).[/color]

It is very hard to buy a BAD macro lens, basically whatever you choose will give you good results. Final two points:

* There is also the very good Zeiss 100mm f2. It is different in 3 areas, that is why I did not include it in the lists above: 1. It is not an 1:1 macro lens (1:2), 2. It is not an AF lens, 3. It is a stop "lighter" than the other lenses (f2 compared to f2.8), making it more suitable for portrait use than the other macro lenses listed.

* Personally I am not very charmed by the 90-105mm focal length class, not a field of view that I have found to be very attractive (on APS-C). I prefer wider (24 or 35mm on APS-C) or longer (150-200mm on APS-C).

new len - PuxaVida - 12-30-2010

[quote name='warwick' timestamp='1293689879' post='5266']

[/quote]

Your answer to the question "which camera body are you using" would help a lot of folks here, who can share their opinions... Otherwise the ultimate answer could be [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371724/"]"42"[/url] for example...

Serkan

new len - popo - 12-31-2010

It ended up in another thread but the camera is a D3.

new len - Guest - 12-31-2010

[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1293726599' post='5277']

[color="#006400"]My picks: Tamron 90mm f2.8 (very nice optics, nicest MF feel), Tokina 100mm f2.8 (good optics, as well built as the Nikon (but extends and noiser AF), Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR (not better optically yet more expensive, but interesting because it does not extend and VR is nice for other uses than macro).[/color]

[/quote]

As the camera is D3, is not really relevant now, however - please - when recommending Tamron 90mm or Tokina 100mm to Nikon users, don't forget to stress that they won't autofocus on D40/D60/D3000/D5000 cameras.

new len - Brightcolours - 12-31-2010

[quote name='Lomskij' timestamp='1293796376' post='5293']

As the camera is D3, is not really relevant now, however - please - when recommending Tamron 90mm or Tokina 100mm to Nikon users, don't forget to stress that they won't autofocus on D40/D60/D3000/D5000 cameras.

[/quote]

The Tamron has a version with motor.

new len - PuxaVida - 01-04-2011

For D3, I'd suggest Nikon 105mm VR. The length of it does not change when focusing, built quality is superb + excellent sharpness & contrast. In case of a limited budget, look for a clean second-hand version. Otherwise I could name the Sigma 150mm (a bit pricey but again, check second hand versions) or Tamron 90mm. Not that I used them, but I heard/read very positive comments about them.

Serkan