Opticallimits
Sample Gallery: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Canon EOS (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Sample Gallery: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L (/showthread.php?tid=4262)

Pages: 1 2 3

Sample Gallery: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L - Klaus - 11-18-2018

https://photozone.smugmug.com/Canon-RF-50mm-f12-USM-L/

RE: Sample Gallery: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L - JJ_SO - 11-18-2018

When I saw the thumbnails, I thought "oh, why didn't he use it wide open", then I switched on the ℹ️-button and was surprised to see so many pics with f/1.2. To put it mildly, I didn't see the raise of another bokeh-monster... strange. I compare it to Sigma 50/1.4 and to Nikkor 58/1.4 and both are showing more and better blurred background - although the Canon is really sharp, I'd say.

RE: Sample Gallery: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L - MatjazO - 11-18-2018

Not that strange really. Just shows a fast lens is one part of the equation for nice background blur. Other being ratio between subject and background distance. Which in many cases depends a lot on photographer.

RE: Sample Gallery: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L - Klaus - 11-18-2018

Well, it is just a 50mm lens so you have to get fairly close for a real shallow DoF.
And yes, it seems darn sharp - at least at 30mp (which is not a lot these days)

RE: Sample Gallery: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L - JJ_SO - 11-18-2018

The Art is also just a 50 mm lens and dissolves more details, I believe - but it only would be visible in comparison, so I just remain astonished.

RE: Sample Gallery: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L - Brightcolours - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 12:33 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: The Art is also just a 50 mm lens and dissolves more details, I believe - but it only would be visible in comparison, so I just remain astonished.

The Nikkor 58mm f1.4 for sure dissolves more detail  Big Grin

(11-18-2018, 11:09 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: When I saw the thumbnails, I thought "oh, why didn't he use it wide open", then I switched on the ℹ️-button and was surprised to see so many pics with f/1.2. To put it mildly, I didn't see the raise of another bokeh-monster... strange. I compare it to Sigma 50/1.4 and to Nikkor 58/1.4 and both are showing more and better blurred background - although the Canon is really sharp, I'd say.

When you get close, you get a lot (and pretty nice (although the Nikkor 58mm f1.4 probably does that a bit nicer)) blur. The 58mm f1.4 and this 50mm f1.2 will have about the same amount of blur wide open, anyway.

RE: Sample Gallery: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L - you2 - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 12:29 PM)Klaus Wrote: Well, it is just a 50mm lens so you have to get fairly close for a real shallow DoF.

There is a zeiss paper that talks about this aspect of lens design. For a given focal length (50, 80, ...) the lens design can play a significant factor in the total blur in foreground/background. The net summary is not all xxmm lens are created equal in this aspect. However, it can be tricky to design a lens to meet different objects (clean bokeh, high bokeh, high resolution). The paper didn't really go into that aspect it just explained in detail why different lenses of the same focal length had different amount of blurring.

RE: Sample Gallery: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L - Brightcolours - 11-18-2018

Can you find that paper again? In my (Probably failing in this case) memory the paper seemed to just make the proposition without any actual explanation or substance?

RE: Sample Gallery: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L - obican - 11-19-2018

(11-18-2018, 02:58 PM)you2 Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 12:29 PM)Klaus Wrote: Well, it is just a 50mm lens so you have to get fairly close for a real shallow DoF.

There is a zeiss paper that talks about this aspect of lens design. For a given focal length (50, 80, ...) the lens design can play a significant factor in the total blur in foreground/background. The net summary is not all xxmm lens are created equal in this aspect. However, it can be tricky to design a lens to meet different objects (clean bokeh, high bokeh, high resolution). The paper didn't really go into that aspect it just explained in detail why different lenses of the same focal length had different amount of blurring.

DOF only depends on two things, Magnification and Aperture. So, lens design apart from these two factors shouldn't create any difference in DOF. Total background/foreground blur is something different but then even then only depends on the Magnification and Aperture. You can't change sensor size, lens design, amount of glass, number of blades or anything else and expect a difference in the amount of DOF / background blur without touching those two variables.

RE: Sample Gallery: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L - Klaus - 11-19-2018

I also somewhat surprised that we are having a DoF discussion here.
Many of those shots were taken at a fairly substantial distance so the amount of blur is naturally limited.