Opticallimits
Different cameras, different brands, same batteries - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Just Talk (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Different cameras, different brands, same batteries (/showthread.php?tid=4443)

Different cameras, different brands, same batteries - toni-a - 07-13-2019

Last year I had olympus TG620 waterproof camera then got Fuji XP90, the cameras are totally different however their batteries were too similar, I tried switching batteries and everything worked normally...
This time manufacturers they didn't bother changing battery mount for Fuji and olympus....
Wish Li-ion batteries become standardized and cross compatible, this would have a positve environmental impact since batteries are polluants
I have to carry three types of Canon batteries (BP511, LPe6, LpE17) plus Sony battery NP-FW50 along with their chargers, I imagine how much standardization would have helped...

RE: Different cameras, different brands, same batteries - wim - 07-13-2019

Totally agreed!

Basically all LiON batteroies can be constructed as a set of multiples of, e.g., AA- and/or AAA-batteries, so I think it is about time this starts happening if you'd ask me.

Kind regards, Wim

RE: Different cameras, different brands, same batteries - JJ_SO - 07-13-2019

Well, within an eco-system of one manufacturer it can work. EN-EL15 is driving my Nikons since 2012 and was there before. But the only reason I can imagine the manufacturers wills step back from their "genuine" parts dogma could be a new kind of batteries and one manufacturer of it who tells the big boys how it has to look like. Mind you, it's a rather safe income for accessories. And also one point that keeps customers sticking with their company.

And as soon as this universal battery would be available, Chinese would throw cheap copies all over the place. With sometimes doubtful or dangerous features.

But honestly, who of you guys would buy new cameras just because the battery is exchangeable with other brands?

RE: Different cameras, different brands, same batteries - toni-a - 07-13-2019

My concern is rather ecological, being able to use batteries on many cameras means less batteries, less heavy metals dumped, we all know how polluting are batteries

The other thread was by error I deleted it

RE: Different cameras, different brands, same batteries - Brightcolours - 07-13-2019

Battery technology is constantly improving. On the lifetime and capacity side, but also on the charging logic for instance. There is no way to standardise this, because it would mean a stop to the technology. And as JoJu points out, manufacturers would not want the decision making of how a "standard" would evolve to lay in the hands of one player (like Sony for instance).

RE: Different cameras, different brands, same batteries - JJ_SO - 07-13-2019

I would say, as long as I can charge a battery in the camera via USB AND the camera would carry on to work when a power bank is connected I don't mind about the battery type that much.

RE: Different cameras, different brands, same batteries - toni-a - 07-14-2019

(07-13-2019, 12:49 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Battery technology is constantly improving. On the lifetime and capacity side, but also on the charging logic for instance. There is no way to standardise this, because it would mean a stop to the technology. And as JoJu points out, manufacturers would not want the decision making of how a "standard" would evolve to lay in the hands of one player (like Sony for instance).
Standardization didn't stop AA battery makers from evolving from Ni-Cd to Ni-MH to the newer ones with less self discharge.

RE: Different cameras, different brands, same batteries - davidmanze - 07-14-2019

The AA/AAA batteries you are talking about have been a standard for many years ...... and have been with me all my life ...

Comparison of importance to the planet earth/photographers/ (earthlings etc):

EN-EL 5 (Nikon battery) has a 14 watt/hr capacity ............... a Tesla S .....100 KW/hr

...... with the electric vehicle well and truly on it's way in it's millions........... with all the production of huge batteries that entails, I don't see the battery industry coming together to bicker over which size/type of battery you should have in your DSLR ...... they now have much bigger fish to fry

...... all we need to remember is to throw our dead batteries in the recycle bin ...... and we're good !!

RE: Different cameras, different brands, same batteries - Brightcolours - 07-14-2019

Indeed, AA with its 1.5 volt is a posterchild for why standardisation is a very weird wish. You often will need many of them, which adds a lot of bulk.

RE: Different cameras, different brands, same batteries - toni-a - 07-15-2019

(07-14-2019, 09:30 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Indeed, AA with its 1.5 volt is a posterchild for why standardisation is a very weird wish. You often will need many of them, which adds a lot of bulk.
In fact there's already some sort of standardisation even in modern Li-ion batteries
Plenty of Li-ion batteries, including batteries you use, like Canon BP511 and LPe6 are actually a shell with standardized cells inside.
How can allowing us to, use the battery cells directly without the shell make them bulkier and nloch their development