Opticallimits
Considering Sigma 20mmf1.4, any advice - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Canon EOS (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Considering Sigma 20mmf1.4, any advice (/showthread.php?tid=4454)

Considering Sigma 20mmf1.4, any advice - toni-a - 07-21-2019

In the past had Sigma 20mmf1.8 on 30D it was one of my favorite lenses, I am considering Sigma 20mmf1.4 Art on EOSRP
Anyone knows this lens well or has used it?
I already have Tokina 16-28f2.8 but not using because of size and weight and I am afraid of having the same issue here, any advice??

RE: Considering Sigma 20mmf1.4, any advice - JJ_SO - 07-21-2019

If weight and size is an issue - steer clear off the 20/1.4, it's big and heavy and performs very well. On a mirrorless body at least. I had some focus point issues with it on DSLR. You need a fast 20 mm? Canon offers them from f/2.8 right?

RE: Considering Sigma 20mmf1.4, any advice - Brightcolours - 07-21-2019

Why was it your favourite lens on Canon APS-C? Must not have been the wide open sharpness, or the AF performance. So, it must have been the FOV?
20mm on FF is totally different. So, it 20mm on APS-C was your thing.... 20 x 1.6 = 32mm. You then would be better off looking at a 35mm lens instead?

RE: Considering Sigma 20mmf1.4, any advice - wim - 07-21-2019

(07-21-2019, 05:02 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Why was it your favourite lens on Canon APS-C? Must not have been the wide open sharpness, or the AF performance. So, it must have been the FOV?
20mm on FF is totally different. So, it 20mm on APS-C was your thing.... 20 x 1.6 = 32mm. You then would be better off looking at a 35mm lens instead?

Yes, completely correct.

And in that case, I'd suggest the RF 35 F/1.8 IS Macro STM, which is a great lens, designed for the R-series opf cameras, has IS, and STM motor for AF, does 1:2 - great for flowers and siliarly sized items -, and is apparewntly quite good. Another advantage si that it was made for the R-series of cameras, and is conveniently quite compact too.

In addition, it is on cashback too, and actually quite cheap compared to the competition, like the Kipon 35 F/2.4, which is MF, no IS, and only 30 euros less, and that is before cashback of the Canon.

Kind regards, Wim

RE: Considering Sigma 20mmf1.4, any advice - ShinySpook - 03-23-2020

(07-21-2019, 07:42 PM)wim Wrote:
(07-21-2019, 05:02 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Why was it your favourite lens on Canon APS-C? Must not have been the wide open sharpness, or the AF performance. So, it must have been the FOV?

Yes, completely correct.

And in that case, I'd suggest the RF 35 F/1.8 IS Macro STM, which is a great lens, designed for the R-series opf cameras, has IS, and STM motor for AF, does 1:2 - great for flowers and siliarly sized items -, and is apparewntly quite good. Another advantage si that it was made for the R-series of cameras, and is conveniently quite compact too.

In addition, it is on cashback too, and actually quite cheap compared to the competition, like the Kipon 35 F/2.4, which is MF, no IS, and only 30 euros less, and that is before cashback of the Canon.

Kind regards, Wim

Many thanks for that complete information!

RE: Considering Sigma 20mmf1.4, any advice - Rover - 03-23-2020

The Sigma should eat the Canon 20/2.8 for breakfast, lunch, dinner and whatnot. Nobody except Ken Rockwell had anything good to say about the 2.8. :-)

If someone needs an "as wide as it gets" f/1.4 lens (and not specifically a 20mm for FF) it looks like the prime (pardon the pun) contender. I chose a 24/1.4 on similar grounds, but if the Sigma 20 had existed during that time, maybe I would've chosen it instead. So I can see Toni's point here.