Opticallimits
Question ... Fuji X-T30 or X-H1? - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Fujifilm (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Question ... Fuji X-T30 or X-H1? (/showthread.php?tid=4494)

Pages: 1 2

Question ... Fuji X-T30 or X-H1? - Klaus - 08-29-2019

Over the last few weeks, I've agonized over the question which camera to chose as X-T1 replacement for the tests here.

There's, of course, the X-T3 which could be seen as the natural successor. However, it seems to be a little pointless to me because the X-T30 is technically pretty much identical.

However, there's also the X-H1 - which is, in fact, cheaper than the X-T3 locally. Yes, it doesn't have the latest AF - but that's irrelevant. 2mp less ... well ...
It does have superior handling though - and IBIS. But does it make sense as a test camera?

RE: Question ... Fuji X-T30 or X-H1? - Spinifex - 08-29-2019

As a test camera, I think you are better off with the X-T30. I do not know for certain, but I imagine that IBIS, even when it is off, might have an impact when you are testing how well the lens is centered.

That said, if you would also want to test to see if the lens OIS works well in conjuncture with IBIS, like they said it would for the 16-80mm, then the X-H1 is the way to go.

EDIT: Or, if testing on a Bayer pattern could make things easier, there is the X-T100.

RE: Question ... Fuji X-T30 or X-H1? - thxbb12 - 08-29-2019

(08-29-2019, 11:05 PM)Klaus Wrote: Over the last few weeks, I've agonized over the question which camera to chose as X-T1 replacement for the tests here.

There's, of course, the X-T3 which could be seen as the natural successor. However, it seems to be a little pointless to me because the X-T30 is technically pretty much identical.

However, there's also the X-H1 - which is, in fact, cheaper than the X-T3 locally. Yes, it doesn't have the latest AF - but that's irrelevant. 2mp less ... well ...
It does have superior handling though - and IBIS. But does it make sense as a test camera?

As a test camera, the X-T30 (or X-T3) with its 26MP makes more sense.
Now, if you want to buy a new body for yourself, it's a tougher decision.
I think the X-T30/3 only makes sense over the X-T20/2 generation if you value action/tracking or face detection.
In fact, it appears the 24MP X-T20/2 sensor offers slightly better DR and high ISO IQ.
The biggest plus of the X-H1 is IBIS of course.
Personally, if they had released an smaller factor X-H1 (say the size of the X-T1/2/3), that's the body I'd have purchased, solely because of IBIS, but as is I find it way too big.

RE: Question ... Fuji X-T30 or X-H1? - MatjazO - 08-30-2019

X-T30 looks best suited for the job here, IMO.

X-H1 would make sense only for IS tests, yet I can’t see how they would be relevant in current test setup.

RE: Question ... Fuji X-T30 or X-H1? - JJ_SO - 08-30-2019

Depends if you want to leave the camera on a tripod all the time and never use it outside. Which I don't think you do... I would go for the X-H1: it's the only Fuji with IBIS, and as you say, handling is better. You can add a battery grip if aborad, looks better than powerpack. And it is so much cheaper given to what it can.

RE: Question ... Fuji X-T30 or X-H1? - you2 - 08-31-2019

Definitely not the X-h1 (imho); way too big. The X-e3 or t30 (the X-E3 is pretty darn nice) for personal use. However, this is for testing and the X-T30 has a newer sensor than the X-E3... and X-H1.
-
People above mention the X-H1 for ibis test but I think the X-h1 is not the best bet for this test. First the camera didn't sell that well so you are testing a feature few have available (of course fuji market is pretty small compared to larger camera makers and the x-h1 is pretty small with-in fuji land). Second if Fuji adds ibis to mainstream at a future date (I've not been following rumours in case this might be the case) given that x-h1 was first attempt it probably wouldn't even be representative of future efforts.
-
I.e, i think more people would prefer the newer sensor over ibis which is not mainstream for this vendor.

RE: Question ... Fuji X-T30 or X-H1? - Klaus - 08-31-2019

(08-31-2019, 06:18 AM)you2 Wrote: Definitely not the X-h1 (imho); way too big. The X-e3 or t30 (the X-E3 is pretty darn nice) for personal use. However, this is for testing and the X-T30 has a newer sensor than the X-E3... and X-H1.
-
People above mention the X-H1 for ibis test but I think the X-h1 is not the best bet for this test. First the camera didn't sell that well so you are testing a feature few have available (of course fuji market is pretty small compared to larger camera makers and the x-h1 is pretty small with-in fuji land). Second if Fuji adds ibis to mainstream at a future date (I've not been following rumours in case this  might be the case) given that x-h1 was first attempt it probably wouldn't even be representative of future efforts.
-
I.e, i think more people would prefer the newer sensor over ibis which is not mainstream for this vendor.

That is a weird explanation ;-)

RE: Question ... Fuji X-T30 or X-H1? - Brightcolours - 08-31-2019

IBIS does not get tested for optical limits since it is a lens review website, so there are no arguments for or against it in this OL-context. For other mounts you "always" choose the higher resolution... So with that in mind the T30 seems to be the obvious choice. Or you can wait for a next generation.

RE: Question ... Fuji X-T30 or X-H1? - Klaus - 08-31-2019

I suppose that I have decided in favour of the X-T30. Not because that's what I want but because I don't expect too many Fuji reviews in the next couple of years.
Realistically, Fuji will release 2 lenses a year from here - plus 2-3 third-party offerings maybe. The camera will mostly collect dust and that would be too sad for X-H1.

The EOS 7D II has that fate already. With Canon not releasing any new APS-C lenses, the camera just sees no use and that won't change. It's basically in mint condition but several years old by now. I still think it's an awesome camera actually.
I was also considering to upgrade from the NEX7 - but then for what reason? To get a better idea about the AF performance? Maybe if I find a dirt-cheap A6300 somewhere.

RE: Question ... Fuji X-T30 or X-H1? - Rover - 08-31-2019

For testing, the more megapickles the better (though not for the results of course...) I can understand that a new resolution race is afoot (with 32 MP APS-C and 61 MP FF cameras out there already) but it's not that convoluted in the Fuji space.

Say... are there any new resolution cameras planned in the labs? (I guess you settled for 42 MP Sony E and 50 MP Canon, but what about the rest - MFT, Nikon F, etc?)