Opticallimits
Does anyone want to say anything about the EOS 90D compared to the 80D, 7D ii. - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Canon EOS (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Does anyone want to say anything about the EOS 90D compared to the 80D, 7D ii. (/showthread.php?tid=4628)

Does anyone want to say anything about the EOS 90D compared to the 80D, 7D ii. - Arthur Macmillan - 01-15-2020

I like shooting telephoto, but since the demise of my last two APS-C Canons I have found I really miss the reach of my 70D.  For a while I thought I might be happy with an EOS R with its 30 megapixel sensor.  It would have more reach than I have now, shooting with my 5D mk ii, and it would have a much more modern imager and image processor.

Then 90D came along with 32MP pack into a 1.6x crop sensor.

All the old doubts came rushing back.  You know about pixel density and noise, and all that jazz.  It seems that nobody has any love for the EOS 5DSR with its measly 50MP sensor.  well, considering that the FF sensor has over 2.5x the area of the sensor of a 70D or 90D, I admit...I don't get it.  If the 70D had 20MP it would have about the same pixel desity as the 50MP 5DSR.

So the 32MP 90D would be comparable to a FF sensor with over 80MP.

Fine!  So I go to read the reviews on the 90D image quality.  Not much is said other than it is the best ##D so far.

When I said the doubts came rushing back, I meant that I used the same line of thought when I had my 70D.  Shouldn't this be a super hard on the lens imager?  It would be more that 50MP is it were scaled up to FF!

But...it was fine!  How about DLA?  You know what?  just between us guys, I think it acted just like...well...every camera I have ever had.  F/8 is good for detail.  F/11 is better if you have the light.  F/16 usually- but not always - looks softer.  Was it necessary to use sharper lenses to get the same results?  No.  Actually, just the opposite.  It was better able to use the sharpness inherent in most lenses. 

So I am a bit lost.  I dutifully read reviews and articles, but my best guess is that a 32MP aps-c sized sensor with a Digic-8 processor will give me much better telephoto results and that 1.6x focal length and 32MP will be a blessing.

So what say you?  Is the 90D's 32MP Dual Pixel sensor going to rock?  And if so, how tough could the 5DSR really be on a lens?  I bet it's a pussycat!

-Thanks in advance!

RE: Does anyone want to say anything about the EOS 90D compared to the 80D, 7D ii. - Brightcolours - 01-15-2020

The EOS 5DS and SR are not too tough on lenses, especially when you use DPP with Canon lenses. The biggest negative for these cameras is that they are rather noisy, at lower ISO settings.

The DiGiC 8 processor does not do anything for image quality in RAW. The 32mp APS-C sensor is a better sensor at low and higher ISO than that of the 5DS and SR.

If for whatever reason one would want a 5DS®, I would go for the S version for sure as I do not especially like the fake sharpness AA-filterless sensors give.

RE: Does anyone want to say anything about the EOS 90D compared to the 80D, 7D ii. - toni-a - 01-15-2020

You need extra reach for what?
7D2 is one of the best SLRs when it comes to autofocus and tracking so if you want a camera for
Birding or sports 7D2 is awesome supposing you have the right lenses.
From sensor side I don't think you will see any noticeable difference versus 70D
You will rapidly love 7D2 responsiveness, and speed it's a total joy to use.
Besides I never worry about 7D2 in harsh environments, it has been to snow and several hikes, last week I used it to shoot a storm at the beach, it had several saltwater splashes yet it's still working perfectly just like it always did.
So if you are After 7Dmkii it's not the sensor that you are after
If it's the sensor that you are after Then 90D or M6mkii plus adapter is obviously the better choice.

RE: Does anyone want to say anything about the EOS 90D compared to the 80D, 7D ii. - Arthur Macmillan - 01-15-2020

Thanks for your responses! I am on the verge of getting the 90D. I just have some concerns about high pixel density.

I don't really know that many photographers to compare notes with. I know one guy who traded his 5DSR in for a 5D Mk iv. He did so because the camera could not do as many frames per second as the 5D Mk IV. He said he loved the resolution. He was using the 100mm 2.8L macro, and the 24-105 F4L zoom. I think he was thinking of upgrading the zoom, but that's not too surprising.

It's interesting what you say about the AA filter. You may be right about that.

Toni-a. I like macro and telephoto more than "normal" photography, so specifically, birds, insects, flowers...stuff like that. And I just like great detail in general. Shots of animals where you get good detail. that sort of things.

Thanks again!

RE: Does anyone want to say anything about the EOS 90D compared to the 80D, 7D ii. - toni-a - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 06:57 PM)Arthur Macmillan Wrote: Thanks for your responses! I am on the verge of getting the 90D.
Toni-a. I like macro and telephoto more than "normal" photography, so specifically, birds, insects, flowers...stuff like that. And I just like great detail in general. Shots of animals where you get good detail. that sort of things.

Thanks again!
About birds, 7D2 would make only sense if you want to shoot them in flight otherwise 90D or M6ii are the way to go.
M6ii plus adapter should be the same as 90D for your work while being cheaper and lighter (unless you count the batteries it will be eating and that you'll have to buy and carry

RE: Does anyone want to say anything about the EOS 90D compared to the 80D, 7D ii. - Arthur Macmillan - 01-17-2020

(01-15-2020, 07:15 PM)toni-a Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 06:57 PM)Arthur Macmillan Wrote: Thanks for your responses!  I am on the verge of getting the 90D.
Toni-a.  I like macro and telephoto more than "normal" photography, so specifically, birds, insects, flowers...stuff like that.  And I just like great detail in general.  Shots of animals where you get good detail.  that sort of things.

Thanks again!
About birds, 7D2 would make only sense if you want to shoot them in flight otherwise 90D or M6ii are the way to go.
M6ii plus adapter should be the same as 90D for your work while being cheaper and lighter (unless you count the batteries it will be eating and that you'll have to buy and carry

I was going to include the M6ii.  I think there are some trade offs, but the big advantage would be the tracking.  Even birds on the ground can move a lot.  But it's actually the form factor that I do not like.  I like the larger camera.  The other plus, I should check first, but I believe they have a wide angle macro lens for the M6ii that actually works!*** 

The cost, I think is about the same if you acknowledge you would need the to buy EVF and the to EF adapter.  And all things considered I don't want to assemble my camera+viewfinder+extra batteries and chargers+adapters. I think I like the concept of an aps-c mirrorless, but they haven't quite packaged it right for me. 

Anyway, I am feeling better about 32MP sensor.  This 90D actually has me just about sold!

RE: Does anyone want to say anything about the EOS 90D compared to the 80D, 7D ii. - toni-a - 01-18-2020

I am sure you will enjoy it!!
was the situation in Lebanon better without economuc crash I was considering it myself