Opticallimits
next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Canon EOS (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC (/showthread.php?tid=793)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC - Klaus - 05-18-2016

FWIW, the Sigma 150-600mm Sports has also a corner weakness at 600mm (albeit it is generally the better lens).

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC - davidmanze - 05-19-2016

Of all the images I have taken at 600mm (and there are many) the amount that have, by coincidence, had the corners in the same plane of focus as the subject is more than rare, in fact I wonder why we are corner orientated  at all....it's not as if we are talking brick wall photography.

Given the DOF is at best, 1/2 meter and often less, with a subject less likely to be in focus at the edge, even  less so in the corners, what we are looking for with the Sport  is a general broad spread of sharpness of 3/4 frame which is significantly better than what the Tamron offers. (at least I speak for myself)....something that will be genuinely sharper on the APSc sensor so as to take full advantage of the boost in reach (crop factor)

So I wait in anticipation and with baited breath, for the results of the Sigma Sports resolution figures....hoping with the mercy of our Lord Almighty that it's bokeh will not have too many bloody onions in it! 

......Hic! 

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC - Klaus - 05-19-2016

Please remember

- on the EOS 5Ds R the practical peak resolution is around f/4. Thus the Tamron is already beyond that especially at the long end

- the MTFs decrease due to air diffusion starting to kick in at 300mm. At 600mm this costs probably "a half mark"

- of course, 600mm prime lenses will be better so it's just unrealistic to expect wonders from a lens that is this affordable

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC - JJ_SO - 05-19-2016

I was just about to mention some numbers from lenscore.org:

The Nikon 600/4.0 G ED VR (which is the "elder" version of the current, even better lens) has a "resolving power" of 1319 points and a contrast of 1225 points.

Whereas the Sigma Sport comes with RP=884 and C=852 points, The Contemporary ranges to RP=827 C=780. So, I really could see differences between Sports and Contemporray - I don't want to imagine how huge they would be, if the differences are not around 7% (S vs C), but nearly 50%!

Being 50 % better while being 476% more expensive (and the successor being 636% more expensive) appears not to be the best of all deals... I'm just saying, the price difference of the two Sigmas is comprehensive to me and reasonable. While the prime is just "nothing better above". And if I see what dave can do with a Tamron...

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC - davidmanze - 05-19-2016

Quote:Please remember

- on the EOS 5Ds R the practical peak resolution is around f/4. Thus the Tamron is already beyond that especially at the long end

- the MTFs decrease due to air diffusion starting to kick in at 300mm. At 600mm this costs probably "a half mark"

- of course, 600mm prime lenses will be better so it's just unrealistic to expect wonders from a lens that is this affordable
Oh F4!..  At 600mm the T is at F6.3 and just plain soft ..except close up.

JoJu's quote from lenscore shows for the 600mm F4  the difference between pro-lenses and consumer zooms.

Also I've just had the misfortune to spot a Nikon AF-S 500mm F4 on "the bon coin" site non VR, for about a grand more than the Sigma Sport,   with a converter it would give me 700mm F5.6 on FF and 1050mm on APSc, plenty enough, but, it's 4 Kgs...no doubt about the sharpness though!

Hmmm... BC...help me!

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC - Brightcolours - 05-19-2016

With carrying 4kg?

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC - chrismiller - 05-19-2016

some sort of trolley or maybe a camera assistant?

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC - JJ_SO - 05-19-2016

I neither will carry that 4 kg, but: Only a grand more? Forget the Sigma.*

1. I don't recall I ever used the zoom or needed to zoom. This lens is about using it at 600 mm and
  2. those 20% more of focal length is in fact overrated: I reckon, even in a blind tets you will prefer the 500 mm crops against what a Sports can deliver.
  3. One Sports was on sale, before I got mine. His owner was happy with the performance but came to his conclusion, I rather have f/4 at 500 than f/6.3 at 600 mm. For him, that wa sreason enough to bite a bit more than only a grand  -_-
  4. 4 kg is heavy, yes. But 2.86 kg (Sports) is not that much more on the "freehand"-side.  ^_^
* edit: I don't say, go for the Nikkor instead - but I'd say, if it's in good condition and one of those lenses coming just on the market to collect money for their successors and not because it's battered and was used as primary weapon in a debate with a Rhinoceros, you probably are better off with the Nikkor - although Sigma's OS can compensate a lot.

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC - toni-a - 05-19-2016

On vacation in Dubai I almost bought this lens today.... Then I found it too heavy and cumbersome.

When I think with the same $$$$ went to buy a dress for my wife....

Quote:I neither will carry that 4 kg, but: Only a grand more? Forget the Sigma.*

1. I don't recall I ever used the zoom or needed to zoom. This lens is about using it at 600 mm and
  2. those 20% more of focal length is in fact overrated: I reckon, even in a blind tets you will prefer the 500 mm crops against what a Sports can deliver.
  3. One Sports was on sale, before I got mine. His owner was happy with the performance but came to his conclusion, I rather have f/4 at 500 than f/6.3 at 600 mm. For him, that wa sreason enough to bite a bit more than only a grand  -_-
  4. 4 kg is heavy, yes. But 2.86 kg (Sports) is not that much more on the "freehand"-side.  ^_^
* edit: I don't say, go for the Nikkor instead - but I'd say, if it's in good condition and one of those lenses coming just on the market to collect money for their successors and not because it's battered and was used as primary weapon in a debate with a Rhinoceros, you probably are better off with the Nikkor - although Sigma's OS can compensate a lot.
It's true I rarely zoom to less than 600mm, however it is useful sometimes, when finding a bird in the sky with APSc!

The more I read the more I think that the difference between the Sport and the Tamron at the long end is not so great, better no doubt than the T but maybe better to spent a bit more, the Nikons keep their value S/H.   The Nikor had a new focus motor eight years ago and comes with receipt and alu case and camo, the owner is a semi-pro nature shooter with his own site, all Pyrenees nature birds and animals. The guy's bought the  new VR version.   I'll keep an eye out for Rhino horn scars!  Tongue

I'm hanging on that hook again, top lip's getting longer by the minute!