Opticallimits
Canon 1DX mkII - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Canon EOS (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Canon 1DX mkII (/showthread.php?tid=914)

Pages: 1 2 3

Canon 1DX mkII - JJ_SO - 02-03-2016

@dave's clichés: How much would one care about cancelled preorders? There are Nikon and Canon shooters, both conservative and with a reason to stay onboard. The specs are not that far away from each other, so both fan clubs can feel happy  Smile

"Nikon has to respond" - that's thinking along the beaten path and suits well to Nikon. Thinking out of the box never was a strength of Nikon. Also, I have some doubts about all those video specs - I don't know if DSLRs are really that much in use. Every normal video camera is easier and smoother to use. How much videos did you do with your D750? The number of DSLR-videos on my hard-drive is very low, I'd say less than 0.5% of all files are video. Whenever I tried I was disappointed by unsteady AF, noise of the focus-motors, very poor sound quality out of the cam. Maybe that's because Nikon tried a lot but is not there. But filming with a Nikon DSLR? No, thanks.

Canon 1DX mkII - Studor13 - 02-03-2016

Quote:  Now that the specs and user reviews are finally hitting the web ........who would have thought after the dazzling specs of the D5....

...........that Canon would trump the Nikon by such a large margin!.......and it has both in specs and price

Nikon has to respond to the IDX MKII  ............ Why would a pro sports shooter now choose the the D5?

A fortnight in the imaging world has matched a week in politics here!

PS. How many canceled D5 pre-orders are we going to see?
This would have to be either one of the most stupidest things or one of the lamest efforts at being a troll that I've seen in a long time.

Canon 1DX mkII - davidmanze - 02-03-2016

Quote:This would have to be either one of the most stupidest things or one of the lamest efforts at being a troll that I've seen in a long time.
I'm very happy you thinks it's a lame effort!

Quote:@dave's clichés: How much would one care about cancelled preorders? There are Nikon and Canon shooters, both conservative and with a reason to stay onboard. The specs are not that far away from each other, so both fan clubs can feel happy  Smile

"Nikon has to respond" - that's thinking along the beaten path and suits well to Nikon. Thinking out of the box never was a strength of Nikon. Also, I have some doubts about all those video specs - I don't know if DSLRs are really that much in use. Every normal video camera is easier and smoother to use. How much videos did you do with your D750? The number of DSLR-videos on my hard-drive is very low, I'd say less than 0.5% of all files are video. Whenever I tried I was disappointed by unsteady AF, noise of the focus-motors, very poor sound quality out of the cam. Maybe that's because Nikon tried a lot but is not there. But filming with a Nikon DSLR? No, thanks.

I'm not in that market JoJu and you probably aren't either, these two DSLRs are for people who earn their money shooting sports, so I am not a client.

The videos I shoot are mostly at the model club with my hands covered in glow fuel, so I use the K01.

I also like watching programs on unaffordable Ferraris and Veyrons, I won't be buying those either!

Canon 1DX mkII - Rover - 02-03-2016

Quote:Nikon has to respond to the IDX MKII  ............ Why would a pro sports shooter now choose the the D5?
... because pro (sports) shooters have tens of thousands $$$/€€€ tied up in long lenses and other stuff, so they wouldn't jump from system to system every time a new model comes out from either, would they? Especially since on the surface of it, both bodies seem more than capable. I'm pretty sure not many people are going to switch - taking huge losses on reselling - based on these announcements. I'm also pretty sure that both units will be used with great results by the (well-off) owners of each respective system.

It looks to me like switching systems because of every new rad unit is like getting divorced after meeting every new hot girl. Big Grin

Most of the local pros I know haven't switched systems in years. Some bailed from Canon after Nikon released D3/D4, but that was it. Some were forced to switch to whatever their agencies were buying en masse at every given moment. Say, TASS went all Nikon a few years ago but lately I've seen one of their local shooters brandish a 1D X / 5D Mark III, sometimes an Olympus E-M5 (that is presumably his own); another came in from Reuters with a bunch of top-level Canon fare and stayed this way.

Quote:... because pro (sports) shooters have tens of thousands $$$/€€€ tied up in long lenses and other stuff, so they wouldn't jump from system to system every time a new model comes out from either, would they? Especially since on the surface of it, both bodies seem more than capable. I'm pretty sure not many people are going to switch - taking huge losses on reselling - based on these announcements. I'm also pretty sure that both units will be used with great results by the (well-off) owners of each respective system.

It looks to me like switching systems because of every new rad unit is like getting divorced after meeting every new hot girl. Big Grin

Most of the local pros I know haven't switched systems in years. Some bailed from Canon after Nikon released D3/D4, but that was it. Some were forced to switch to whatever their agencies were buying en masse at every given moment. Say, TASS went all Nikon a few years ago but lately I've seen one of their local shooters brandish a 1D X / 5D Mark III, sometimes an Olympus E-M5 (that is presumably his own); another came in from Reuters with a bunch of top-level Canon fare and stayed this way.
 In fact jumping systems is something that's been happening to many pros since each side has brought out new models. The Canon's 5DMKIII  was the choice combining a perfect (for the time) all round DSLR with good video and general performance, (I hazard a guess that there were more semi pro videos made with that camera than any other) but it's DR was lacking and Nikon caught up with there undeniably better sensors of as you say the D3 (especially the S) and the D4.

Judging by the reports of several lucky chosen "guinea pigs" that this IDX MKII has seriously redressed the DR and shadow noise short comings, and more, the noise performance if these reports are right is on a new level.

One thing though is undeniable, Canons implementation of 4K video has left the D5's three minute version as more of embarrassment than an asset, complete with it's 29.99 minute recording time PD CD AF and 100 Fps and whatever else.

Those here can poo poo it..... yeah yeah......Canon's video.......my  shmideo already!..........but it's there and Nikon's sure isn't!

Have I got an agenda?.........nope, I shoot Nikon and Pentax......Oh I have a Canon S80 P+S........broad minded too huh? Rolleyes  Huh

I take an interest in technology and have always been fascinated by cameras!

Canon 1DX mkII - Studor13 - 02-03-2016

Quote: 

I shoot Nikon and Pentax......Oh I have a Canon S80 P+S........broad minded too huh? Rolleyes  Huh

I take an interest in technology and have always been fascinated by cameras!

What exactly do you shoot?

I have shot and shoot events for biathlon, cross country and telemark during the winters; Cycling, running and kayaking competitions in the summers. Do you know what is needed to get the job done? An eight year old D300. 

These days I shoot with a D800 and a D600 just because I want to. I could just as easily go back to a D300 and no one would know.

Even if I were to cover more demanding events such as Slalom and Giant Slalom I could still do it with a D300. Do you know why?

Because you shoot the skiers coming towards you. The relative distance and speed to the camera would make no difference whether you were shooting at 5 fps or 15 fps. This is also the case the with majority of action sports. The athletes are coming towards or going away from you.

Everything has to do with timing. Not how great the camera is.

I was once on a boat with a “real pro” shooter. We were asked to shoot a couple of Olympians rowers. The guy sat there doing nothing for most of the time until he got the rowers in frame. With what looked like a 600 or 800mm lens he took one set of shots. That's it. The next day his average looking photo was in the sports sections. 

The article was about the rowers. Not the photo!

Quote:What exactly do you shoot?

I have shot and shoot events for biathlon, cross country and telemark during the winters; Cycling, running and kayaking competitions in the summers. Do you know what is needed to get the job done? An eight year old D300. 

These days I shoot with a D800 and a D600 just because I want to. I could just as easily go back to a D300 and no one would know.

Even if I were to cover more demanding events such as Slalom and Giant Slalom I could still do it with a D300. Do you know why?

Because you shoot the skiers coming towards you. The relative distance and speed to the camera would make no difference whether you were shooting at 5 fps or 15 fps. This is also the case the with majority of action sports. The athletes are coming towards or going away from you.

Everything has to do with timing. Not how great the camera is.

I was once on a boat with a “real pro” shooter. We were asked to shoot a couple of Olympians rowers. The guy sat there doing nothing for most of the time until he got the rowers in frame. With what looked like a 600 or 800mm lens he took one set of shots. That's it. The next day his average looking photo was in the sports sections. 

The article was about the rowers. Not the photo!

I like to shoot a bit of this and a bit of that you know!

Yeah, I'm up for good timing...........

As they say "the shooter is more important than the shot"...........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

Canon 1DX mkII - Brightcolours - 02-05-2016

http://www.canon-europe.com/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1dx_mark_ii/

Canon 1DX mkII - Brightcolours - 03-02-2016

Andy Rouse on the 1D-X mk II:

watch