Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15/4 macro lens 1:1, fullframe, from Venus optics - opinions?
Just saw on Photo rumors: http://photorumors.com/2015/06/23/venus-...more-73144

It is no rumors, as preorders start now and the lens should be available late July. Tempting. Samples look good.

Just don't know how close I'd like to get to the green snake, but I could start with something less poisonous  Wink

Interesting lens... I've been wanting a wide angle macro for a while, but this really takes it to another level. It does shift too, although personally I think tilt would have been more useful to control DoF in a macro scenario. MFD 0.47cm! You could practically stack a couple of filters on it and rest the subject on that!

As a poor man's alternative, could you just use an extension ring on a non-macro wide angle? Of course, you will lose infinity focus, and I suspect the small extensions needed may not be easily provided with off the shelf ones.

I don't know my snakes but there's plenty of non-venomous ones too.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Don't know about the extension ring, but the only lens around 15 mm FL I have is 14-24/2.8 and I'm a little bit scared about the front element. This lens just costs the front element, so if it get scratched...

I always wondered how Andrés Moyra did his macro shots and I think, this lens could become a nice toy for that  ^_^

I'm afraid the MFD in the specs could be wrong. On the lens, it's a 1:1 mark with 0.12 m distance. Appears more believable to me.

To me it seems as if the shift function is a little hotter than the macro option.

The video does not show anywhere near 15mm. The images show close ups and nothing near 1:1...  And it does not seem to be 15mm on FF there either?  I doubt that 1:1 is even possible, maybe the lens has rather extreme narrowing of FOV at MFD? The lens is about the same length as the Tokina 12-24mm f4 DX, and with that lens and 12mm extension tube at 24mm and MFD the subject touches the lens and is not near 1:1.
Quote:To me it seems as if the shift function is a little hotter than the macro option.

Yep, although it's only one direction, but I could imagine some experiments in architecture. Unfortuantely, their website currently is offline. They also offer a 60/2.8 with 2:1 and it's review at Petapixel was also interesting. So, it's not only a fake manufacturer.

Edit: "was" offline. In a couple of weeks I can tell more about the lens  Rolleyes

Quote:Yep, although it's only one direction, but I could imagine some experiments in architecture. Unfortuantely, their website currently is offline. They also offer a 60/2.8 with 2:1 and it's review at Petapixel was also interesting. So, it's not only a fake manufacturer.

Edit: "was" offline. In a couple of weeks I can tell more about the lens  Rolleyes

One website mentioned that the shift function will only works on APS-C (image-circle-wise). I haven't seen a confirmation for this so far though.

I am wondering about the QC and maturity of the design. SLRMagic wasn't so impressive in this respect for instance - just to mention one of these other small players from China. They all seem to go for extreme designs but this is far from easy - otherwise the big ones would do it as well. Honestly I would be reluctant to go for anything south of Samyang at the moment.
The shift function will serve me well in APS-C, that's still 22.5 mm and pretty wide. On the Photo Rumors site this is also confirmed. My other concern is, how do I bring enough light between lens and subject and how to focus on ground level? I think I will have to use CamRanger more oftem. IQ-wise I don't expect miracles but the sample pictures were not too bad. Although I didn't find any EXIF data within the JPGs, but perspective and angle appeared to look believable.

Anyway, I like a bug's perspective and am looking forward to it. I don't expect more performance than a lensbaby would deliver.

Quote:The video does not show anywhere near 15mm. The images show close ups and nothing near 1:1...  And it does not seem to be 15mm on FF there either?  I doubt that 1:1 is even possible, maybe the lens has rather extreme narrowing of FOV at MFD? The lens is about the same length as the Tokina 12-24mm f4 DX, and with that lens and 12mm extension tube at 24mm and MFD the subject touches the lens and is not near 1:1.

Well, min focus is 12cm. Min working distance is 5cm.
No, min. working distance is 0.47 cm (4.7 mm).