Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax lens product leaks! A FF not far away?
Hi guys,

With much speculation about Pentax's full frame intentions for the future and a couple of unidentified large lens bodies laying tantalizingly in glass cases at CES+  labeled "upcoming products" we have a further leak that one these new lenses is to be the;

FA* 70-200mm F2.8 HD........        anyone knowing Pentax's lens designations will realize that this is in fact, "full frame star grade quality glass" complete with their recently acclaimed HD coatings.

Maybe with this new lens the full frame body lies not so far behind, or is just to pave the way for a couple more FF lenses?  The launch of FF soon  would beg further glass and fairly rapidly. At this point in time there are also several lenses in Pentax's current range that cover the 35mm format.

Recent lenses from Pentax have turned their backs on their troublesome SDM system and are using DC motors as an alternative, since there is no SDM designation in the lens title, another DC motor looks likely.

http://digicame-info.com/2015/02/hd-pent...m-f28.html

Some sources say the official  lens announcement is tomorrow the 5th! 

I think Pentax has already stated several times that a FF body is in the works and will be released soon. However, "soon" is a very elastic term. In the case of the 645D, "soon" was something like 5 years or so  Big Grin

Pentax/Ricoh could put into production a few pretty good film FF lenses (with AF and coating updates, to cut down on initial FF line up development costs, I guess. The old Pentax 80-200mm f2.8 was not bad but not best of breed either, so lets hope this new one is a pretty good lens?

Quote:Hi guys,

With much speculation about Pentax's full frame intentions for the future and a couple of unidentified large lens bodies laying tantalizingly in glass cases at CES+  labeled "upcoming products" we have a further leak that one these new lenses is to be the;

FA* 70-200mm F2.8 HD........        anyone knowing Pentax's lens designations will realize that this is fact, "full frame star grade quality glass" complete with their recently acclaimed HD coatings.

Maybe with this new lens the full frame body lies not so far behind, or is just to pave the way for a couple more FF lenses?  The launch of FF soon  would beg further glass and fairly rapidly. At this point in time there are also several lenses in Pentax's current range that cover the 35mm format.

Recent lenses from Pentax have turned their backs on their troublesome SDM system and are using DC motors as an alternative, since there is no SDM designation in the lens title, another DC motor looks likely.

http://digicame-info.com/2015/02/hd-pent...m-f28.html

Some sources say the official  lens announcement is tomorrow the 5th! 

It's actually designated FA* 70-200mm F2.8 HD, same as the current D FA 50mm and 100mm Macro lenses which did not portend a 135 format camera.  So even if this rumoured lens is coming, it means nothing for bodies.  It could simply be that these digital lenses happen to cover the image circle of 135 so Pentax slaps an extra F on them out of courtesy to the film users out there.  
Quote:It's actually designated FA* 70-200mm F2.8 HD, same as the current D FA 50mm and 100mm Macro lenses which did not portend a 135 format camera.  So even if this rumoured lens is coming, it means nothing for bodies.  It could simply be that these digital lenses happen to cover the image circle of 135 so Pentax slaps an extra F on them out of courtesy to the film users out there.  
 Your right in as much as I missed out the D of DFA*, but I think the D in this instance is for digital as in the coatings used for the digital sensor. The DFA 50mm and 100mm macro both cover FF but were existing lenses,

I see absolutely "no" reason why Pentax would design an all new 70-200mm F2.8 that "just so happened to cover" the FF sensor, given the additional expense and design difficulties  that would make, not to mention it's great bulk from a company that prides itself on compact lenses, just to be "courteous" to film body users, it doesn't make sense, especially given their announcement of their FF body intentions albeit not stated as to the launch date.

The FF format is intentional, otherwise an  F designation would be an expensive slap! 

Yes, the D FA macros are digital-era lenses as denoted by the D.  They only exist during the digital era of K mount and certainly were introduced during a time that Pentax stated that they had no 135 frame intentions.  Why?  Who the heck knows.  Probably just because.  They've also kept several legacy lenses in production including the FA 31, 43, 77 and A50/1.2 during the whole time that they stated that they had no intention of a digital 135 body.  Why?  Just because.  Lenses that cover a 135 frame don't mean diddly squat.  There have been unfounded rumours and tea-leave readings about a Pentax digital 135 body since I switched over from Pentax film bodies to digital bodies 7 years ago and I'm sure since before that.  

In the beginning, I was among those who hoped for a digital 135 K mount body, but over time I divested my old film lenses and built a proper lens set around APS-C format and enjoy some really good Pentax bodies.  I don't care about a full frame K mount anymore and haven't in years.  I think the only people who really won't let go of the digital 135 notion are those who have a hoard of old and mostly cheap legacy lenses.  But if it's all about those lenses, they've always had the option to adapt them to a Canon and more recently Sony full frame.  

Most of the FF rumours and hype seem to be generated by PentaxForums to drive traffic and forum discussion.  It's sensationalist and one of thing I started to dislike about them (along with their sh!tty reviews).    And probably the reason why I'm cynical about a digital 135 Pentax. Would it be cool to see one? Yes.  Do I care much either way, no.  I will never go back to a camera with a mirror.  I do want to see Pentaxians stop clutching at straws and putting so much stock into such weak rumours.   

I too am not looking at a Pentax FF, I'm sticking now with APSc with the K3 and my newly found Nikon D7100 which is giving me a great deal of pleasure and I soon hope to bolt a Tamron 150-600mm on to it.

That said even if I don't want FF ( or you)  there are plenty of Pentaxians out there who do and sit there on their nest of FF lenses some manual some AF as well as the current FF lenses dreaming of that magic moment when it is finally released. 

So let every man have his day whatever that day may be, if the FF arrives as I think in the end it will,  Pentaxians will have deserved it, they have been a dammed faithful bunch! 

Agreed, it'd be cool to see.  And never say never...and Pentax and Ricoh can sure throw some curveballs in the product department, so who knows what they might come up with.  I'd not be surprised if whatever they finally came up with sent Pentaxians into fits of outrage and weeping and bystanders into bemused befuddlement...

Info is coming in thick and fast now!

Detailed specs of "HD PENTAX-D FA ★ 70-200mm F2.8ED DC AW"

From readers, we have to provide information about the specs of the "HD PENTAX-D FA ★ 70-200mm F2.8ED DC AW".

As of specs of the next "HD PENTAX-D FA ★ 70-200mm F2.8ED DC AW"

- Dust and water structure. Sealing 13 places

- Image circle covers the 35mm format

- Nanotechnology coating of newly developed "Aero Bright coating II"

- HD coating

- Two super ED lens, two ED lens, four abnormal low dispersion lens

- Switch with quick shift focus system selector switch to "QFS / A", "QFS / M", "MF"

- "QFS / A" autofocus priority. "QFS / M" manual focus priority

- Lens within the motor (DC motor)

- Circular aperture

- 3-stage focus limiter

- Lens front to the SP coating

- New development of removable tripod mount (Captive)

- Over-the-counter expected price is 260,000 yen (including tax)

No guarantees on how true theses specs are! 

Both the 70-200 and 150-450 seem to be official.