Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
Meet the value king:

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/8...018_4556is

Thought this one could be interesting thus I hurried up ...  Big Grin

Bargain! If I was shooting APS-C Canon I'd get one.

Just a note, you mention in the vignetting section how bad it is at f3.5 but it should say 4.5.
Wow that was FAST! Funny that the date says 06/06, but it's still 05/06 in Europe. Smile

Lenses like this make APS-C interesting again... (I'm on APS-H though).

Quote:Bargain! If I was shooting APS-C Canon I'd get one.

Just a note, you mention in the vignetting section how bad it is at f3.5 but it should say 4.5.

Thx! Corrected.
Quote:Bargain! If I was shooting APS-C Canon I'd get one.
Exactly my thoughts.
This is even better than I expected from the MTF curves Canon provided. I thought it would be a f/8 lens. That it can be used wide open with minimal impact is a bonus.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I need one Big Grin

It is not available here yet, I asked a friend to bring it from US hopefully should arrive tomorrow

With the EOS 100D, 10-18mm IS STM, 18-55mm IS STM and 55-250mm IS STM Canon has a pretty impressive light weight DSLR setup available now, which indeed is very affordable.

Only downside I see of this lens is the light fall off, the weight saving has to come from somewhere I guess. That is then the only thing to keep in mind (besides the CA) if I would want to modify one for FF (which would basically turn it into a 17-18mm f5.6 prime with IS and STM).

Nothing to say but an absolute bargain, without the usual having to stop down at the wide end. 

How on earth did they do that?   I guess they are unlikely to tell anyone!

Quote:  Nothing to say but an absolute bargain

Definitely! Makes me wonder how much of the "usual" prices of similar UWA lenses is justified by production cost and complexity of the optics and how big the margin on these lenses is... The Panasonic is >900€, the Sony E-Mount is >700€.  :wacko: (They're both constant aperture lenses though)