Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: SLR Magic Hyperprime LM 50mm T/0.95
Gives the Noctilux a run for the money:

http://www.opticallimits.com/leicam/861-slrmagic50t095

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Ah... I shoulda known you're onto something. Smile Well... looks like great stuff, although $5K (and even $3K... come on, does the rangefinder coupling cost that much?) is still a lot.

And perhaps a silly question - is there going to be an A7r (re-)test, if only to clarify the ongoing allegations of lower IQ of the Sony compared to Leica M with the same lenses?

Timely review of  the  SLR magic, giving us the chance to see like for like, the borders are a tad better than the Leica but stopped down the Leica betters,cons, higher distortion (bit too high), better bokeh, twelve elements vs eight., vignetting is way better on the SLRM. The Leica wins on looks!  

Half price esoteric vs Full price esoteric 

Maybe the Zeiss Otus 50mm F0.95 is already on the drawing board, (18 elements) better sharpness in the corners, 

$18,000?

Love dreaming about expensive glass.

Rover, Sorry, I wrote it the wrong way round, corrected.

Quote:  Timely review of  the  SLR magic, giving us the chance to see like for like, the borders are a tad worse than the Leica but the center is better, higher distortion (bit too high), better bokeh, twelve elements vs eight. The Leica wins on looks!

Half price esoteric vs Full price esoteric 

Maybe the Zeiss Otus 50mm F0.95 is already on the drawing board, (18 elements) better sharpness in the corners, 

$18,000?

Love dreaming about expensive glass.
I thought the SLR Magic had better borders at larger apertures (2.8 and below) as well? Then, the Leica recovers more steeply, but that doesn't matter too much.
Hum. Did I understand the review correctly: $2000 to add a leica mount ?

No, both feature a Leica mount. But the LM version also has the rangefinder coupling added, the mechanics that drive the focus display in the viewfinder.

One may of course argue if the mechanics added are really worth $2000. I guess it's more of a payment for the engineering efforts they had to make.

If you want to use the lens on a Leica M camera (or another rangefinder camera with M-mount), you'll need the more expensive LM version. If you simply want to adapt this lens to a mirrorless camera, the more affordable CINE version will do.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I hope Ken Rockwell never gets his hands on this one. :-) he's known to have a habit of wantonly attacking "junk brands" (and in the Leica land, even Voigtländer qualifies in his opinion). He panned the new fast Sigmas for "mechanical" shortcomings he never really explained, and this CHINESE lens as good as the Noctilux would probably blow his worldview into chunks. :-)
Their biggest problem is the brand name. SLRMagic, Great Wall or Build-your-Dreams ... these are nightmares for the marketeers in the western market - regardless of the product quality. And yes, as a potential buyer I would have an issue with this as well. Coolness is always part of consumer electronics. Even "Hyperprime" is over the top ... StarTrek or what ? So this is a magical device with warp speed.

This is a pity because the company really has potential as we can also see with this one here.

I kinda see your point Klaus, but personally I'm fine with the name - after all, the lens is made to be used, not crowed about from the rooftops. Also, whoever buys this lens knows what he's after - it's never going to be a random buy (especially since it's build-for-order, TTBOMK). Secondly, changing the name this far into the career would be even more of a commercial suicide. They've only just built a following, and starting from scratch is probably not an option.

Does SLR Magic actually make any SLR lenses, by the way?