Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony to release sensor shift AF E-mount camera
The FF NEX will cost a lot, being the first in that particular market. What I was talking about is a mirrorless A-mount camera. There is no reason for the A99 to cost more than the 6D or D600 (on a camera scale, the volume of sales has a great impact of course).

My thinking is that, if Alpha is to survive, the next FF Alpha camera has to be priced where the A77 was at its release.
Neither FF nor Alpha is going anywhere. Sony sold more A99 than they did A900/A850. according to flickr stats. 
Flickr stats are interesting indeed. Probably not representative for the whole camera market, but they give at least an impression. For example: Sony FF owns only a tiny fraction of the whole FF market, which is still dominated by Canon and Nikon. And in itself is only a niche market.

So, in other words: the total number of FF cameras sold by Sony is most likely very low. Not only compared to the competition, but also compared to the rest of Sony. Unless the FF cameras play an important role in the whole portfolio as high-end products which also shine down onto the lower grade products (which is no longer the case when NEX FF is released) there is hardly any reason to keep this small business segment alive.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Sony sells $65,000 F65, $30,000 F55, $8,000  FS700, and $4,000 FS100  and the total number of those cameras sold combined are probably far lower than A99 that Sony sold. No one is expecting Sony to quit making FS700 video cameras as the total number of sold cameras is far lower than A99.

I know some are wishfully hoping that Sony would quit FF, just  like Thom Hogan was desperately  doing 3 years ago. Sony released A99, RX1, RX1R. and apparently many more FF cameras are in the "pipelines" ., including E-mount FF cameras, despite Hogan's dire warnings. 

Instead of quitting FF, Sony is going to introduce FF even in more mounts like FZ mount (which is their native mount on F3)

[Image: 9659379118_0ef3aa180a_o.jpg]

This isn't a rumor. This a prototype of FF camera shown by Sony themselves at this year NAB. The tiny lens on the camera is the huge 24-70mm F2.8 and the native mount on that camera is FZ (Sony's third mount). 

Yeah, doesn't look like Sony is quitting FF anytime in the next 10 years ...

If anything I won't be surprised if Sony would be releasing 70mm video cameras (with bigger than FF sensor) in the next 5 years.  
I don't think people here actually want Sony to ditch FF DSLRs/SLTs, but there will come a point when it isn't good business sense to continue. Sony will likely drop mirrored FF long before CaNikon do, and it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sony have a user transition path to something else, where FF NEX will play a big part in that. The pro video side is its own niche and largely irrelevant to those who's primary interests are in stills.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:I don't think people here actually want Sony to ditch FF DSLRs/SLTs, but there will come a point when it isn't good business sense to continue. Sony will likely drop mirrored FF long before CaNikon do, 

Sony will drop mirrored FF, including SLT, but they aren't dropping A-mount FF and APSC anytime soon.   That's for sure. They have dozens of  lenses and all are in production.  Sony makes and sells products that are far  lower volume than their A mount cameras, like F55 for example.

See the above photo of FF prototype camera with FZ  as the native mount. That's far more lower volume product, as Sony doesn't even make FZ lenses, but yet they have officially shown the camera in development stage. 

How weird that Sony will release a FF camera with FZ mount with ZERO  Sony  lenses but yet they will drop FF in A-mount with several dozen lenses. It's simply not happening anytime soon. 

Looking back, I could have wrote that without the sprinkling of "FF" everywhere and it would still hold. Anyway, volumes are important but isn't a direct measure of profitability. Low volume very high end products can be profitable, which is why they can exist.

Personally I didn't mention a time scale. I do agree it will take some time, just saying it might be sooner than later for Sony, relative to CaNikon. In a similar way I hate those "mirrorless will KILL DSLR" type posts. Yes, eventually, but not quickly. I hate to put a figure on it, by I'd guess perhaps 5-10 years.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.