Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS
Quite good ... apart from the usual centering issues:

http://www.opticallimits.com/sony_nex/829-sony1018f4oss

I thought all new tests are on Nex-6.

Quote:I thought all new tests are on Nex-6.

No, there'll be a test of the NEX 6 vs NEX 7 but all mainstream tests will continue to be on the 7.
Quote:No, there'll be a test of the NEX 6 vs NEX 7 but all mainstream tests will continue to be on the 7.

Why? This way we'll never have a good way of telling if the lens is ok at the image borders (because of the NEX-7 sensor).

I don't trust the tests done on this camera...
Hmm, I find that a bit odd too, keeping on testing the the Nex 7 which has known sensor issues (which affect lens performance). That keeps on making every test a test of the NEX 7 instead of the lens.

The NEX 7 is the official flagship model. If we tested on the NEX 6, there would be similar questions why we don't test on the NEX 7. Testing on both is no option at this stage. Sony NEX is not THAT popular.

Quote:The NEX 7 is the official flagship model. If we tested on the NEX 6, there would be similar questions why we don't test on the NEX 7. Testing on both is no option at this stage. Sony NEX is not THAT popular.
But do you want to test the lens or the camera (which you already did, right)?

From a measurement perspective this is just wrong and somewhat pigheaded from your side.

Sometimes I just wonder if you just dont want Sony to look bad..
Quote:But do you want to test the lens or the camera (which you already did, right)?

From a measurement perspective this is just wrong and somewhat pigheaded from your side.

Sometimes I just wonder if you just dont want Sony to look bad..

I have wondered the same myself.  There seems to be a certain negativity towards the NEX system on this site.  The de-centering problems don't seem to be a widespread reported issue, yet this site suggests there is a problem with Sony QC.  Certainly I have not had any de-centered NEX lenses - I always test for it when I get a new lens.

If the reason for refusing to test on the NEX-6 rather than the flawed sensor of the NEX-7 is that the NEX-7 is the flagship, then why are Canon APS-C tests not conducted on the 7D?
Quote:The NEX 7 is the official flagship model. If we tested on the NEX 6, there would be similar questions why we don't test on the NEX 7. Testing on both is no option at this stage. Sony NEX is not THAT popular.
That question (of why not tested on the Nex 7) is very easily answered (problems with the sensor construction, making life very difficult on certain lenses). You could even mention that in every review.

You test on the Canon EOS 50D and Canon EOS 5D mk II, neither is a flagship model. 

It will remain a problem with every lens tested, when you keep testing on the Nex 7. We want to know how a lens performs, not what a certain model adds (or loses).
I tested SEL 50/1.8 in shop and first sample had a soft corner even at f/4.

Quite interestingis that lens passed local fast test with defocused image well - blur was very symmetric.

Second sample was good.

My 16-50 has small assymetry in defocus image and two corners are slightly softer then other two.