Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
definition of standard zoom lens
I have a NEX 6 with the 16-50 kit lens.

I would like to add a high quality longer focal length zoom. Looking at the pinned E Mount roadmap, I'm curious to know what focal lengths a "standard" zoom encompasses?

Sony promises a G quality "standard" zoom for next year, and another (presumably lower quality) "standard" zoom on the line below it.

Would anyone care to share their knowledge on the subject?

thanks

Coltrin
[quote name='coltrin' timestamp='1351603497' post='20752']

I have a NEX 6 with the 16-50 kit lens.

I would like to add a high quality longer focal length zoom. Looking at the pinned E Mount roadmap, I'm curious to know what focal lengths a "standard" zoom encompasses?

Sony promises a G quality "standard" zoom for next year, and another (presumably lower quality) "standard" zoom on the line below it.

Would anyone care to share their knowledge on the subject?

thanks

Coltrin

[/quote]

Standard zoom is what you have. Something around the "normal" focal length (43-50mm on full frame, 28-35mm on APS-C), a bit on the wide end and a bit on the tele end.

So, basically two lenses on that roadmap you mention which offer about the focal length range of the 16-50mm lens you mention you have already.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1351631065' post='20753']

Standard zoom is what you have. Something around the "normal" focal length (43-50mm on full frame, 28-35mm on APS-C), a bit on the wide end and a bit on the tele end.

So, basically two lenses on that roadmap you mention which offer about the focal length range of the 16-50mm lens you mention you have already.

[/quote]
Thank you for your informed definition - which confirms what I had suspected.

When I was using Canon SLRs my two favourite lens were the L24-105 and the L70-200 (f4MKII).

I realize that with the appropriate connector on the NEX 6, I can use SLR lenses and heritage glass from a number of makers.

However, this would defeat the purpose of downsizing.

My hope is that Sony or someone else will make a quality E mount zoom, in the range of the Canon zooms I mentioned. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Coltrin