Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would 36mm by 36mm sensor be possible in Dslr?
Hello again,

Just a thought. The FF sensor is appr. 24 x 36mm. So, the lenses will can cover an image of 36x36mm. Would it be interesting to come up with a sensor of 36x36mm for Dslr's and use the same lenses?

It makes more sense to me that you have a 36x36mm sensor and can swith between FF 36x36 and 24x36 than with a normal FF sensor with an Apsc 'crop-option'.

In MF there are/were plenty of square film camera's. So, an Dslr with a sqaure sensor would make sense to some photographers. Would this be costly and would there be a market for?

Best wishes,

Reinier
The image circle of a normal FX dslr lens has a diameter slightly larger than 43.3mm (the diagonal of a 36x24mm sensor) I think. But a 36x36mm sensor requires an image circle with a diameter larger than 51mm (the diagonal of a 36x36mm sensor). So I think the answer to your question is "No".

Best regards,

Frank
[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1348409425' post='20349']

Hello again,

Just a thought. The FF sensor is appr. 24 x 36mm. So, the lenses will can cover an image of 36x36mm. Would it be interesting to come up with a sensor of 36x36mm for Dslr's and use the same lenses?

It makes more sense to me that you have a 36x36mm sensor and can swith between FF 36x36 and 24x36 than with a normal FF sensor with an Apsc 'crop-option'.

In MF there are/were plenty of square film camera's. So, an Dslr with a sqaure sensor would make sense to some photographers. Would this be costly and would there be a market for?

Best wishes,

Reinier

[/quote]

As Frank points out, the width of the 135 format is what lenses are being designed around (and most lens mounts too). The corners of the 36x24 frames touch (more or less) the image circle. If you just add more height to that image frame, corners will fall outside the image circle. If we take 43mm to be the width of the image circle, we can determine that a square sensor can have the max. dimensions of 30x30mm.

With MF things are a bit different. Originally, MF was used mostly as a wide image format. Some cameras cropped that wideness for two reasons: compact width of the camera and more photos per film.

MF cameras like my Agfa Record II shoot 9x6cm still, so a 3:2 format like 135format. Then there are 7x6, 6x6, 4.5x6 formats that all crop the 9x6 format. So, if you were to follow that idea, one would just start cropping the 24x36mm image frames to get to more and more square images.

There are even some cameras that adjust the width of MF. The more narrow MF crops can make do with lenses with smaller image circles. The wider panorama MF cameras need lenses with wider image circles.
Thanks for the explanation. I 'made' the sensors in Photoshop and overlayed two circles and it became clear what you meant.

Best wishes,

Reinier

[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1348472019' post='20355']

As Frank points out, the width of the 135 format is what lenses are being designed around (and most lens mounts too). The corners of the 36x24 frames touch (more or less) the image circle. If you just add more height to that image frame, corners will fall outside the image circle. If we take 43mm to be the width of the image circle, we can determine that a square sensor can have the max. dimensions of 30x30mm.

With MF things are a bit different. Originally, MF was used mostly as a wide image format. Some cameras cropped that wideness for two reasons: compact width of the camera and more photos per film.

MF cameras like my Agfa Record II shoot 9x6cm still, so a 3:2 format like 135format. Then there are 7x6, 6x6, 4.5x6 formats that all crop the 9x6 format. So, if you were to follow that idea, one would just start cropping the 24x36mm image frames to get to more and more square images.

There are even some cameras that adjust the width of MF. The more narrow MF crops can make do with lenses with smaller image circles. The wider panorama MF cameras need lenses with wider image circles.

[/quote]