Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nex-6: "Reinsert the memory card"
On the last day of a journey on the Alps, my NEX-6 started showing "Reinsert the memory card" and refused to work. The memory card, of course, is the same I've been using with that camera for a few years. I suspected it was a problem of dirt on the contacts, or in the camera: I blew some air inside, and inspected the contacts. The problem was still there. Fortunately, working with three camera bodies the impact was minimised. When I arrived at home, I tried the memory card with my laptop, and it was ok. The day after, even the camera accepted the memory card with no problems.

So, what would you do now? It might have been just a transitory issue (I hate transitory issues with no explanations, but technology forces us to accept them every in a while), or a worrying signal that something is going to fail, with possible loss of photos. The point is: is the problem with the camera or the card? In the latter case, it would be just a matter of a few euros, I'd prudentially just replace the card. In the former case, I should send the camera to the technical assistance. How to run a test and understand which kind of problem is? Honestly I don't have experience: I've never seen a partial failure such as this. In the past I saw a camera and a lens that just stopped working from one hour to the other, and they were completely dead; I never seen a failing memory card (with the exception of one I prudentially got rid of when I saw some cracks in the plastic near the contacts).

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
I first will check the lock switch at the side of the SD card.

I have one new Sandisk 32 GB UH II card, and it has a very easy to move switch. A couple of times I got a "card error" just because the switch moved. I must say, the double bay card slots of the Fuji X-T2 are poorly designed. Very fiddly if I want to insert or eject only one card. And the holder itself causes this switch movement.

Btw., does anybody (really) know what happens if I cut the switch away? Would that become a constantly "locked" or "unlocked" SD-card? Because that's just the type of shit I don't wnat to bother with when it becomes a bit more stressy. 

The switch is the first thing I checked - all right. When I got home, I also tried other cards on the camera (but the test wasn't meaningful, when I discovered that also the original card was working again). 

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Yes, difficult to track down such errors. Only suggestion is to get a new SD card and retire the old one. I think that a card failure is more likely than a camera failure, from what I have seen in the past. Flash memory does go bad with time, as it (or rather, individual storage units on the chip) has a limited number of times it can be erased and written two. Of course everybody says it won't happen in your lifetime....  I tend to not erase individual images, but let the chip fill up, and only format when almost full to reduce "wear and tear". 

Contacts can go bad as well. (moving it a couple of times in and out ("scratching") can help there). You could also transfer images with the cable from the camera, reducing the number of times you put chip in/out - helping to prolong the life of contacts. 
     Single card slot scenario, a good reason to have two in a camera.

..........my K3 sometimes would send to the second card without reason, the it would be OK, so I had a little warning,   a little while later the first slot didn't recognize the card, then both slots died..............the cards were fine!
That happened because you shot too many megapixels per shooting period.

^_^

Fuji is much more fun. On X-T2, either both cards come out (and can jump quite a distance) or none or I end up with broken thumbnail. If the shooting is set to slot 1 and I take out card 1, it switches to slot 2 - even if the card 1 is in again (unlike Nikon, which makes a differerence between primary and secondar memory card and fills 1st). Re-inserting the card into a switched ON Fuji camera switches the camera OFF (unlike Nikon...).