Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a little help on Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G
I have a nikon d7000 and i want to get this lens Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED DX VR

Why is there a difference on the review of this lens on nikon d200 and nikon d7000.

On nikon d200 it has a 4 star image quality and on d7000 3 and a half.Is it a sample problem or this lens for some reason undeperforms on nikon d7000?

I am asking this because a had a really expensive lens ,reviwed here ,and olny reached 3 stars and i was not happy at all with the image quality and the sharpness of that lens ,it was a pentax 16-50mm.

I just want to know how good is the Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED DX VR in terms of sharpness and image quality.and maybe you can recomend something similar or better.what i am really interested on at the moment is image quality and sharpness, the mechanincs can wait for now cause i don't want to spend fortunes to have them both.

and why does it have a 3.5 star rating on d7000 and 4 on d200.
It may be the half-star drop in optical rating is because the D7000 sensor is more demanding than the D200 it shows up any shortcomings... or it could just be the passage of three years, experience and refinement of ratings... I don't think it's helpful to read too much into the rating drop.

As the reviews on both sensors state, it's a sharp lens. It can certainly produce very high quality images on the D7000. It is also a very useful range - in comparison to the 17-55 / 2.8, though 'slow' compared to that lens, it also has VR and is half the price.

Ian
Don't fret about three star lenses.

Photozone are a conservative lot and if they give 3 stars that is in reality 4 to 5 stars on a lot of other sites.

In any case if you are happy with the lens then that's more important.
Don't worry about the rating. The 16-85 is a wonderful lens on an APS-C body; I had one on a Nikon D300s and was very happy with sharpness and image quality. With a D7000 and auto ISO it is a no brainer. Buy it and you will be very happy!