Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sigma 135mm f/1.8 ART ...
Because of the oval blurr at the borders?

The border highlights are cat eye and the effect starts fairly "early".

However, the focus transitions aren't super smooth. 

Overall this is still all very good but it's not earth shattering.

I actually like the cat eye effect. I find it generally adds some 3D pop to the scene.

Same with vignetting (which can easily be added in post of course). I find vignetting to be a non issue at all.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Same here, those cateye lights don't bother me much.

I actually find the bokeh kind of special, but I don't know how to put it in words. "3D" is such a worn term. I also don't need to have everything not in focus super-soft and hyper-creamy, to me the Sigma renders a special kind of bokeh. When I was watching the files, I never felt annoyed or noticed something less pleasant. On the contrary, I found it remarkably interesting.

[Image: _DSC4707-XL.jpg]

f/1.8

On the Canon side of things, there's a cheaper 135/2.0, but lensrentals' Zach Sutton favors the Sigma:

Quote:So is the Sigma 135mm f1.8 Art Series lens good? Yes, absolutely. The Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art Series surpassed my expectations, corrected my doubt, and overshot my love for the Canon 135L. The autofocus is fast and incredibly accurate, the images are exceptionally sharp, and the bokeh is incredible. The Sigma 135mm f.1,8 Art Series takes everything I always loved about the Canon 135mm f/2L and surpasses it in every way.

On the Nikon side of things, I have the option to go supercheap Rokinon or opposite of that and pay 1000$ more for a Zeiss. With which I never could have get a sharp picture of the bee.

Quote:I am leaning towards 5* (on the 5Ds R).
So it's even better than the 85/1.4? W00t
As much as I'm impressed by the Sigma 135/1.8, I'd still go for Canon 135L. Zeiss APO is simply a no-go since I absolutely hated the handling of the lens and wasn't really impressed by the image quality and character neither.

At this point in time I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Sigma over a Canon.

Obvious drawbacks of the Sigma are the size and price point - but then it's a tad faster.

While I haven't tested the 135mm L on the 5Ds R I have a hard time imagining that the Canon is as good.

No it's definitely not as good. But it's good enough for me and it's much smaller and cheaper. I'd even consider going for a used Batis 135/2.8 for slightly more.