Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumours about Canon mirrorless...
FWIW, for a more realistic market perspective the B&H Best Seller list is probably a better reflection of reality:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_POPULARITY%7c1&setIPP=100&ci=16158&srtclk=itemspp&ipp=100&N=4288586281

Although you still have to scroll for quite a while to find Canon there. At least the M5 beats the YI M1 in this list ;-)

Quote:Following your argument there are a magnitude more YI M1 users than EOS M5/M6 users out there. Even the Nikon 1 J5 outperforms those two cameras by a margin then. I'm stunned by Canon's success in the US then ...  Big Grin
The price of that J5 is low now. The EOS M was nr 3 for some time in the US too, when its price was low. The Canon M3 and M10 both sell more in that list than the J5. 
<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">dave, with calipers you can't measure down to 0.01 mm reliably. I should take the converter which is neither worn out or malfunctioning to the grinding-lab where they can measure down to 0.1 µm and find out how parallel it really is. Again, even given  perfect manufacturing, an adapter is always only second best. If you enjoy  little read about that:

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">  I read it, Roger is a knowledgeable man no doubt, when he tests multiple lenses for centering /resolution and reports back his percentages of de-centering, you know your unlikely to get the best lens of the bunch, yet you still buy lenses......

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">       

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">     ...same with adapters, buy try keep/return!

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">    It's lottery out there!........

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">  The Nikon TC is +/- 0.03mm measured across the faces of the bayonet at 4 X 90°. I've never noticed anything wrong other than I don't like TCs in general. My guess is it's twenty years old.

Sales-numbers you are looking for should be coming from the source: the manufacturers and they keep them as a secret. Btw. numbers of Walkmen-sales could not foresee the success of iPods, so researching the numbers of mirrorless with no bigger than APS-C sensors son't say much about a possible success of a FF or bigger sensor device.

If you're all convinced, mirrorless FF need new lenses, then the other form factor defined by sensor size also comes into play again. I look forward to it with some interest, but will not jump on the first Nikon mirrorless system camera. And the Fuji GFX50S feels cheaper than the price indicates.

Quote:Canon's execs said in the past that they think that mirrorless only makes sense when you do it compact, since that is the advantage of mirrorless.

Compactness is by far not the only advantage of mirrorless.

To name a few:
  • WYSIWIG through the use of EVF: what you see is what you get by opposition to an OVF (to some people it's a cons, but to many it's a plus).
  • Larger EVF than most OVF, independant of body and sensor size.
  • Ability to do much more than a traditionnal DSLR: almost unlimited features to be displayed in realtime in the EVF: histograms, blinkies, face detection, etc. ; face recognition, etc. pretty much anything that can be programmed on an image. In terms of features, we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg which is the opposite of the situation with traditional  DSLRs.
  • AF accuracy with any lens at any aperture ; no focus adjust ever required.
  • Silent shutter.
  • Electronic shutter speed up to 1/32000 (there might be rolling shutter artifacts but if the subject doesn't move fast, it happens rarely)
  • Simpler to manufacturer, hence cheaper to produce (even if it's not reflected in the price ; technically it's much cheaper to manufacture). Corollary to the previous statement: theoretically more reliable over time (no/less mechanical parts).
  • In terms of technology mirrorless systems are CPU/memory bandwidth bound, whereas DSLR are mechanically bound. The later has little room for improvement and can't compete as far as technical advancements go.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:The Nikon TC is +/- 0.03mm measured across the faces of the bayonet at 4 X 90°. I've never noticed anything wrong other than I don't like TCs in general.

A 500 mm Tele doesn't react on a difference of 0.06 mm (that's what ± 0.03 means  Wink ) With a (heavy) wide-angle, it's another thing. Mind you, you did not measure the play between mount and lens. This adds as well as the play between adapter and lens. So very soon you come to Â± 0.3 mm if it comes worst to worst.

Sure you can buy, measure and send back to some extent. If you have enough nerves to spend on this selection...
thxbb12, you mentioned face recognition twice, but not the silent shutter  Wink
Quote:thxbb12, you mentioned face recognition twice, but not the silent shutter  Wink

Ah right, thanks Joachim, fixed :-) (I also added the 1/32000 shutter speed).

--Florent

Flickr gallery
As this "shutter speed" actually serves as an electronically gradient filter, but doesn't act as time freezing super shutter, I'd hesitate to mention it. Especially because the Fuji version is very sensitive to fluorescent light. But that's true to the silent shutter as well.

Quote:As this "shutter speed" actually serves as an electronically gradient filter, but doesn't act as time freezing super shutter, I'd hesitate to mention it. Especially because the Fuji version is very sensitive to fluorescent light. But that's true to the silent shutter as well.

I use it constantly when shooting wide-open (f1.2 or f1.4) portraits of my daughter/wife in bright light with zero issue whatsoever.

It's a feature I would sorely miss on any other body not allowing me to shoot at 1/32000. Otherwise I'd have to mess around with ND filters on most of my lenses which is a pain in the arse.

--Florent

Flickr gallery