Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why MFT?
Quote:These are the two I've looked closest at. I rather like the Pen-F :-)

One camera not mentioned is the Panny GX8. Any thoughts on this guy? There are some great kit deals available making this a very attractive item.

It's a comparatively big camera. Shutter vibrations come into mind (just like on the E-M1 mk I). However, you could use electronic shutter (except in artificial light where this can cause banding).
Quote:These are the two I've looked closest at. I rather like the Pen-F :-)

One camera not mentioned is the Panny GX8. Any thoughts on this guy? There are some great kit deals available making this a very attractive item.

I find it way too big for the sensor size. Similar size to the X-Pro from Fuji.

The only downside to the GX7/80/85 series is their EVF. Why on earth does Panasonic use 16:9 EVFs in these?? Makes no sense at all since it's cropped to 4:3 and thus becomes much smaller than it should. Plus, it's a sequential EVF leading to tearing and rainbow effects. I almost think they do it on purpose to deter potential buyers and "force" them to get the more expensive GX8.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:It's a comparatively big camera. Shutter vibrations come into mind (just like on the E-M1 mk I). However, you could use electronic shutter (except in artificial light where this can cause banding).

Apparently there's a software workaround that automatically goes to the electronic shutter at certain shutter speeds.

Indeed, it does seem comparatively big. The thing I'm wondering about is the size misleading? Two parts of the design come to mind. The first is the adjustable EVF. It definitely stick out the back a ways. Second is the grip, which would never protrude beyond the lens.

However, reviews compare it the x-pro is size which is worrisome. Have you personally got to hold it?
Quote:I find it way too big for the sensor size. Similar size to the X-Pro from Fuji.

The only downside to the GX7/80/85 series is their EVF. Why on earth does Panasonic use 16:9 EVFs in these?? Makes no sense at all since it's cropped to 4:3 and thus becomes much smaller than it should. Plus, it's a sequential EVF leading to tearing and rainbow effects. I almost think they do it on purpose to deter potential buyers and "force" them to get the more expensive GX8.

Strange, the GX8 EVF got much better reviews than the pen-f. But that's only once comparison.

As I asked Klaus, have you had a chance to hold it? See the comments I left him in regards to its actual size. I too am worried because it was compared to the x-pro, Which did surprise me how big it is when I handled it.

This camera wasn't even on my radar until I clicked on it at B&H. Whats odd is you can by the camera alone for ~$1kUS, or you can by the kit with a 12-60, extra battery, and 32Gb card, and carrying bag (probably nothing I would use) for the same price.
Quote: 

However, reviews compare it the x-pro is size which is worrisome. Have you personally got to hold it?

Me just fiddling around with it in a shop doesn't really count.

It all the depends on what you are using for  a comparison - it's tiny compared to an EOS 80D for instance. It's big compared to a Fuji X-T10/20.

I'm not sure about the substantial value-add of a GX8 compared to other MFT cameras other than the OLED viewfinder maybe.
In  my perception the Panasonics are biased and dedicated to great video recording - but I might be wrong.

As Fuji user I have to mention their UI is not convincing me fully. And with UI I also mean all these dials, which partly have nearly no function (front dial, pretty much useless) or are executed to get easily (dis)adjusted, others are difficult to switch properly (AF-dial).

I really would like to use an Oly for a week to compare their way of doing things. Olympus has much more experience with small bodies. But I don't know by just fiddling around with it, if they could keep their well thought ergonomics.