Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUYING ADVICE
Recently my Nikon D300s was stolen. So, I need to replace it. I am considering buying another D300s, which I loved, or waiting for it replacement from Nikon. If I buy another D300S I could then afford to purchase a professional lever (2.8) lens, such as the 28-70. If I wait for the replacement it will likely cost substantially more and I will not also be able to aford the lens as well.

The question has to do with image quality. Will the better lens have a greater affect on image quality than a newer (more mps and possible better sensor) camera with my old lenses.
Do you need the huge buffer and fps of the D300s?

If not, get the D7000. It has a more current image sensor.

Then with the money saved, pick up the 24-70 (rather than the 28-70, since 28 isn't that inspiring on an APS-C sensor).
[quote name='ROBOB' timestamp='1301440530' post='7213']

Recently my Nikon D300s was stolen. So, I need to replace it. I am considering buying another D300s, which I loved, or waiting for it replacement from Nikon. If I buy another D300S I could then afford to purchase a professional lever (2.8) lens, such as the 28-70. If I wait for the replacement it will likely cost substantially more and I will not also be able to aford the lens as well.

The question has to do with image quality. Will the better lens have a greater affect on image quality than a newer (more mps and possible better sensor) camera with my old lenses.

[/quote]

What lenses do you have now? In any case, I would recommend against buying the 24-70 for the D300s or an APC-s camera. Rather buy the 17-55 2.8? which is built for APC cameras. It is a more useful focal length and lighter to carry around.

Whether to buy abother D300S or not is a guessing game at the moment. On one hand, you can not go wrong buying an outstanding body, but on another hand, there may be a replacement in the works soon. If the D7000 fits your bill, then buy it. It is a great camera, but it does not replace a D300s in terms of build quality and some of the more advanced features.