Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon EF-S 35mm f2.8 IS STM Macro coming soon.
http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2017/04/...m.html?m=1

[Image: EF-S35Macro.jpg]

[Image: EF-S35_2.jpg]

1:1 macro

macro LED light

MFD 13cm (working distance at MFD 3cm)

10 elements in 6 groups

190 grams

Hybrid IS

The silent STM type

No filter thread?
Quote:No filter thread?
Similar to the EF-M 28mm IS STM f3.5 macro. They both have a design to minimise the frontal area, to prevent shading as much as possible at MFD, while at the same time providing the possibility of illumination by the built in LEDs. They provide a lens hood which has filter threads. In case of the EF-M 28mm f3.8 IS STM macro it is the ES-22 with 43mm filter thread, and in case of this EF-S 35mm f2.8 IS STM macro it is the ES-27 with 49mm filter thread.
Only thing I didn't like is STM and focus by wire, this is simply not practical for macro.

You do need manual focus and you do need the focus distance written on the lens.

Dunno why they opted for focus by wire on a macro lens
Quote:Only thing I didn't like is STM and focus by wire, this is simply not practical for macro.

You do need manual focus and you do need the focus distance written on the lens.

Dunno why they opted for focus by wire on a macro lens
Focus by wire works well on some STM lenses (in my experience the EF-S 10-18mm and EF-M 18-55mm work well, 22mm f2 a bit less so). So as long as it works responsively, it should be ok for macro.

I have NO idea why you would need a focus distance scale written on the lens for macro photography, though. You ALWAYS check focus in the OVF or live view LCD, so no need ever for a distance scale.

For silent, accurate and fast live view action, they opt for STM. Logical choice. STM lenses have focus by wire, because they lack the gearing to make AF/M switching impossible.
MSRP $349.99.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/porta...cro-is-stm

[Image: efs35_f2.8_macro_is_stm_mtf.gif]

One aspherical element:

[Image: lens-construction.png]

In my opinion a welcome return of 35mm macro for Canon APS-C, after the demise of the Tokina 35mm f2.8 DX Macro.

http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/info/ef-s35-stm/index.html

I can't say I like how Canon's site presents the lens.  If it were not for all of your comments I might have missed the hood/filter threads issue.  Of course Canon users are familiar with the focus by wire limitations.  I'm not overly thrilled, that a macro lens comes with the MFD of 130mm given, and they fail to mention the MOD is more like 30mm(?).  LEDs aren't exactly flashes, and I guess the use of flashes will be a bit tricky. But maybe the LED's + IS will be more than enough.  Stopping way down might not be as critical.  

That's the bad news.  The good news is it is definitely a tempting lens which I would love to try Big Grin

With IS, a metal mount, silent AF - anyways one can always focus by moving the camera -and a reasonable price, I have little doubts that I will get one!  I had some doubts about STM in the beginning.  I can't say I've experienced focusing problems.  I'm going to predict this is going to be a great lens! 

Quote:I can't say I like how Canon's site presents the lens.  If it were not for all of your comments I might have missed the hood/filter threads issue.  Of course Canon users are familiar with the focus by wire limitations.  I'm not overly thrilled, that a macro lens comes with the MFD of 130mm given, and they fail to mention the MOD is more like 30mm(?).  
It is about the FOV. If you want a wider FOV for macro, you need a short focal length. A short focal length comes with a small working distance, always.

So, you have the choice.

28mm (EOS M), 35mm (EF-S), 60mm (EF-S), 100mm, 180mm. A FOV choice. 

I am overly thrilled by this lens, in the sense that if I still had an APS-C DSLR I would get this lens for its wide FOV for close ups, in a heartbeat. Lovely. 

At the moment I use a 55mm f3.5 macro on my FF camera, for close ups. Similar FOV. And 90mm and 200mm Wink

I may get the 28mm one for my EOS M sometime in future, or even this new 35mm. With IS they even make nice video lenses...
Quote:It is about the FOV. If you want a wider FOV for macro, you need a short focal length. A short focal length comes with a small working distance, always.

So, you have the choice.

28mm (EOS M), 35mm (EF-S), 60mm (EF-S), 100mm, 180mm. A FOV choice. 

I am overly thrilled by this lens, in the sense that if I still had an APS-C DSLR I would get this lens for its wide FOV for close ups, in a heartbeat. Lovely. 

At the moment I use a 55mm f3.5 macro on my FF camera, for close ups. Similar FOV. And 90mm and 200mm Wink

I may get the 28mm one for my EOS M sometime in future, or even this new 35mm. With IS they even make nice video lenses...
Try it on a FF body through an extension tube - it might work. The working distance might become a problem though.