Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Sigma macro's AF inaccuracies call for new optic!
Nothing to sorry about. A second hand lens at low costs - I would not dare to put high expectations in such an item, as my prejudice is "it's cheap for a reason". You're running for cheap prices and if it arrives, very often the threads get filled with focus issues. Is that worth the savings? I admire your courage, but this lens got great remarks - around 2012. Now you like to pair it with today's cameras. I don't think it's as easy as filling freshly made petrol in to a 50 year old car.
(03-21-2018, 08:21 AM)davidmanze Wrote:     *Cambridge dictionary.

Ahhh much better than Merriam-Webster, which erroneously claims that "lense" is a valid way of spelling "lens"!
(03-21-2018, 08:21 AM)davidmanze Wrote: "Cheap for a reason" here wouldn't change the lens's compatibility situation with Nikon........the problem here is one of exactly that!

Your quote:    " I would not dare to put high expectations "on" such an item, as my prejudice is..... it's cheap for a reason."

Firstly "He who "doesn't dare" loses"!       (by virtue of the famous SAS expression)

Secondly............and according to you........your viewpoint is based on "prejudice"!

definition of prejudice:

"an unfair and unreasonable opinion or feeling, especially when formed without enough thought or knowledge"*

Do you like that one?   ha ha ha!

I've bought both great and rubbish new and S/H lenses...........although I must say though that I've had a little run of good luck with the Nikkor AF-P 18-55 VR......the AF 50mm F1.8.......
                                                                   ........all grey market of course!

The biggest restraint for me buying S/H now is, that grey market is only a few percent more with free postage.

The secret of my success (or failure) is that when I buy a so called cheap bargain lens and decide I don't want it.....

........I can sell it on at a profit....as in the Nikkor AF50 F1.8D  (+€35)......AF 80-200mm F2.8 (+€65) ...amongst many others!

try doing that with a new lens..........it's sort of like an optical parachute!

We will have to wait and see what the AF 105mm F2.8D micro lens produces.........

My optimism remains high.........I have however, one finger on the shutter button..............

.......and  the other ready on the ejector seat button............ if I need to bail out!

*Cambridge dictionary.
"the definition of the cadet is valid" - I do have prejudice against buying 2nd hand, because the chances are high to deal with somebody who is less careful in selling things than I am. I never ever got any complaints from my "customers" and I always give them a couple of weeks to return the item. On the other side: fungus in a Pentax 50/1.4, not told by the professional seller. Tripod with screws missing. G11 with worn out hinge for the LCD. Bad experiences on eBay... Most of the time it went well, but if it goes bad, it can become real pita

I could also say, im highly sceptical Smile
         The problem with buying new and selling S/H is it puts you in the  "maximum loss" catagory  and with my penchant for GA this could spell my financial disaster.

I've pretty much gone for a "sell for the price you buy or better scenario" these days, I was spending out on lenses and losing 50% of their cost when selling..............that philosophy had to go!

So could the AF 105mm F2.8 micro be my last lens purchase?  Wink

(03-22-2018, 08:34 AM)davidmanze Wrote:  So could the AF 105mm F2.8 micro be my last lens purchase?  Wink

Whut? Are you planning to die anytime soon? Just don't. Or start painting watercolours?
There's never enough lenses once you decided to get second one.

Big Grin
Ha ha, I remember with the Samsung GX10 it came with the kit lens + a free DA 55-200mm (you sent off one euro to Samsung).......

.......I thought to myself ......18-200mm ............that'll do me!

So now with all my glass + the AF 105mm macro to come I have it all....ha ha.

So I have to be sensible........money doesn't grow on trees.........I have to think of my old age.......

.......I have a small sum of money put by for my ultimate career.............

......................basket weaving!
(03-22-2018, 02:09 PM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 08:34 AM)davidmanze Wrote:  So could the AF 105mm F2.8 micro be my last lens purchase?  Wink

Whut? Are you planning to die anytime soon? Just don't. Or start painting watercolours?
There's never enough lenses once you decided to get second one.

Big Grin

True dat. I've been operating a one lens setup for a year, and wasn't exactly unhappy (most of the time). Now I have eight (!) lenses and contemplate getting more. It's a slippery slope.  Tongue
Well, the Nikkor 105mm F2.8D micro lens arrives!

Condition:   ..... "perfect" just one slight mark on the paint M/A ring...frankly it looks brand new. 

The D version had better SIC coatings and was made from 1993-2006...when the VR version was released.

Optically: it's well centered and very sharp...in it's day this lens had an exceptional reputation as being as sharp as anything out there.

AF........here is where I can often tremble......I shot Zelda (my new blonde darling) and bingo it's on the money at all distances with zero AFFT......

Maybe just a case now of swapping the 85mm F1.8D for the G version and I'm done.....

......well that's the theory!  Tongue
I have followed this thread with interest! I bought the Nikon 105 F2.8 Micro G. I purchased it new and it is a wonderful lens. I find myself using my 70-200 F2.8 VR2 more frequently for portrait work though.
 It has some CA in very trying conditions but I rate the 105 very highly.

I am very pleased you obtained a nice 105D. That lens has a great reputation and I think you should find yourself enjoying it a lot!

I have only purchased 1 lens used, my VR2. It was unused in open box and costly but less than grey market here in America. It is a very nice lens. I find buying them new an efficient way of rapidly decreasing my bank account.

I really want a 200F2 and a 300F2.8. But I won't buy them. I know I would use them so little it would be a huge waste of money. But they are sublime.

I bought a 200-500 F5.6....up to 400mm and slightly more not bad. No hotshot at 500 though.
  I will try shooting the moon with it tonight and see how it fares.

Best wishes and happy shooting!!!