Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM announced
Does anyone care now?
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/porta...-f-1-4-stm
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Seems to be a pretty neat little lens for the EOS M platform, albeit without IS. The MTF looks pretty ok too. With a price of $479.99, it is nicely in line with the Sony E 35mm f1.8 OSS and Fuji 35mm f1.4 WR.
It's a better offer - the Fujinon is only APS-C and a tad more expensive... also a pretty dated lens. Well done.
This Canon lens is also APS-C only, JJ.
(09-05-2018, 11:29 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: This Canon lens is also APS-C only, JJ.
Well, all these lenses... I wonder: Can you override AF when the M body is in AF servo mode?
I'm not sure it's going to stick around for long, which is a pity.
Well, it's certainly a good lens if Canon ever wants to push their APS-C mirrorless cameras outside of Japan. The system is priced very competitively, apparently has very good autofocus in the recent bodies and great video. Their failure of a launch a few years ago really hurt them in the eyes of photographers however, as is their decision to release Japan-only bodies, leading many to fear the system discontinuation.

Frankly, if I were to start a new system tomorrow, or if someone asked me to recommend a system, Canon EOS-M would be a contender. You simply get so many lenses for so cheap:

- EF-M 22mm f/2 for $229
- EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS for $349
- EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS for $349

That is a really nice trio of lenses for less than $1000! They might not be as good as Fuji's versions, but 80-90% capacity for 50% less is a good deal.

They are, however, missing a portrait lens and a long focal length macro (the 28mm doesn't cut it).
I still wouldn't want to dive in this pond - none of us can be sure this system isn't going the way of Samsung NX in the near future. Still, even if this is a swansong, it's looking like a nice offer (and before anyone starts wondering, remember Sigma has released a very similar lens for the E mount).
Canon sells more EOS M than Sony sells CFKANEX and Fuji sells X-mount. So "none of us can be sure those systems aren't going the way of Samsung NX in the near future".
I'm interested to know where you got those numbers for EOS-M. I know from BCN 2018 that EOS-M was second after Olympus for Japan, but as far as I know, EOS-M is all but absent in the rest of the world.

Also, just because it's Canon, doesn't mean the system will have longevity: Nikon has abandoned its Nikon 1 system after all. To attract us (amateurs and prosumers), Canon will have to prove that it can take a crop sensor system seriously, and release high quality lenses for this system (at the very least, a real macro lens and a portrait lens), for users like us to invest in that system.