Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenstip reviews the Nikkor AF-S 500 mm f/5.6E PF ED VR
In short it is a blinding lens........brilliant!

https://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=o...est_ob=540
Except when it comes to frontlight - the contrast will go south...

Too bad I like frontlight.
I think backlight? (light from behind the subject plane)
This is in the real world, a non issue, at this focal length/angle of view plus lens-hood....... the occasions where backlit scenes crop up are just rare.

The 300mm F4 PF when reviewed was criticised in the same way, with decry from fans......that was just about the last we heard of it.

Most telephotos struggle with the sun creeping into the frame.......and I'm sure the G2 does also......but, honestly I've just never seen it......more important is how it handles water sparkles.........that comes from frontlit situations and the golden rule of birding....

..........back to the sun.

I would like to see how it handles OOF subjects such as grass in the foreground and OOF bushes trees in the background.......vis a vis Nissin bokeh.
(09-13-2018, 09:46 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: Except when it comes to frontlight - the contrast will go south...

Too bad I like frontlight.

I think we talk about the same. Depends on who's looking to the lightsource, the object or the photog? But you're right, the common term is backlight. Thanks for correction.
I agree on that you can look at it from different perspectives. I also like backlight, especially with tele lenses. The Canon EF 400mm f4 DO IS USM II also suffers from the same contrast nose dive.