Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon 28mm question
I have a Canon 28 mm 2.8, about 13 years old. Is this the same quality as the one that is reviewed on the site? thanks.
If it's not IS and 13 years old it must be this one
https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/...rt--review
I own it and confirm the findings
Thanks Toni, that seems to be it. But it's not on their all reviews page anymore correct?

BTW I don't see any 5 star rating for optical quality - (just looked at 8-9 lenses); is there a filter on the site to find the top rated ones, the 4-5s?
(02-01-2019, 06:06 AM)kevs Wrote: is there a filter on the site to find the top rated ones, the 4-5s?

Personally I would be against such an approach, you choose a lens for your needs and style,  image quality is important yes, but it's not everything, also do know that difference in image quality among most decent lenses now isn't huge, if you don't print larger than A4, I doubt you will see any difference, as long as the image is well taken, a sharp lens won't correct motion blurr or a bad focus.
(02-01-2019, 06:06 AM)kevs Wrote: Thanks Toni, that seems to be it. But it's not on their all reviews page anymore correct?

BTW I don't see any 5 star rating for optical quality - (just looked at 8-9 lenses);  is there a filter on the site to find the top rated ones, the 4-5s?

Sigma 135/1.8, Nikon 105/1.4, Canon 70-200/2.8 IS II (on APS-C), Nikon 14-24/2.8 (again on APS-C)... these are the few 5٭ lenses off the top of my head. There's very little of these because here the 5/5 rating doesn't mean "good enough" - it means "exceptional and (likely) one of a kind", similar to how 3/5 doesn't mean "rock bottom" but "actually quite good".

There are 1٭ lenses too. Smile (I think the Sony 16/2.8, Nikon 18-35D and Canon EF 50/1.2 are all these...)
I'd like to make a comment here as well Smile. I had a 28 F/1.8 which was clearly better than the one tested here, and actually, it was better than the 85 F/1.8 I had and the 2 other 85 F/1.8s I tried and tested.

I only sold it when I fot my first 24L, the Mark I so to speak, as that was better.

In short, I reckon it si a rather undervalued lens.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

P.S.: the guy I sold it to 6 or 7 years ago still uses it, and still is very happy with it.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Thanks Wim interesting, yet only get I think a 3 rating optics, whereas the 85 gets a 4 no?

Are the any 5 ratings? No filter to find those?

BTW, I have an old Nikon F lens and getting old Pentax lens.. from 60s 70s, how do you find old lenses on this site?

thanks Rover just saw your post.

"Canon 70-200/2.8 IS II (on APS-C)," You mean the lens is not a five on a full frame camera?

Is there a filter to see the ones or the fives?
(02-03-2019, 08:59 PM)kevs Wrote: Thanks Wim interesting, yet only get I think a 3 rating optics, whereas the 85 gets a 4 no?

BTW, I have an old Nikon F lens and getting old Pentax lens.. from 60s 70s, how do you find old lenses on this site?

"Canon 70-200/2.8 IS II (on APS-C),"   You mean the lens is not a five on a full frame camera?

On FF it is 4.5 star. Ditto the 70-200/4 IS II which is 4 star on 50MP, 4.5 star on 21MP.
No, there doesn't seem to be any way to filter stuff.
(02-03-2019, 08:59 PM)kevs Wrote: Thanks Wim interesting, yet only get I think a 3 rating optics, whereas the 85 gets a 4 no?

"Canon 70-200/2.8 IS II (on APS-C)," You mean the lens is not a five on a full frame camera?

Yes, 3-star “only”. Although that is very good here. It would probably be 4.5 stars on a different review site Smile.

Personally, I hate the fringing the 85 F/1.8 has up to about F/2.2, and the problems it has focusing properly in the nearby ranges. The IQ from the 28 F/1.8 has always been quite a lot better for me, on 40D and 5D, and I enjoyed it very much. Just that it made no sense to keep it after I got the 24L, as I didn’t use the 28 anymore. I still kept it for a while, regardless, but eventually I sold it.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Thanks Wim, can you please define fringing and IQ? I been shooting on the 85mm for ages, I never notice a problem. Though I'm only shooting beauty/ headshots , so maybe it does not show for that use? (just double checked: the site gives it a whopping 4/4/5. rating.

Never use the fixed 28 too much either, as I got 24-105 L.

That said what are you other favorite Canon lenses. And there is no filter on this site to quickly find the 4-5?

Also, this site, does not show many old lenses ratings from old Canon / Nikon era?