Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon DS (Defocus Smoothing) lenses coming
Canon just unveiled there will be Canon  85f1,2 and 85mm f1.2 DS with improved bokeh 

https://petapixel.com/2019/02/12/canon-t...othing-ds/

is it a lens featuring apodisation like fuji 56mm f1.2 ??
Hopefully not like the 135/2.8 SF lens of yore. Big Grin
The 135mm f2.8 SF actually was pretty nice, just don't use the SF feature Wink
(02-13-2019, 12:18 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: The 135mm f2.8 SF actually was pretty nice, just don't use the SF feature Wink

Yeah, I checked out Klaus's review of that lens when I was reminded of it, and the SF=2 pictures made me want to play some Motley Crue records. Smile
Remember at the time people used to like such effect, seeing wedding albums from 80s there was always pictures taken with such lenses or with soft focus filters...
(02-13-2019, 06:25 PM)toni-a Wrote: Remember at the time people used to like such effect, seeing wedding albums from 80s there was always pictures taken with such lenses or with soft focus filters...

Yeah, and I'm glad that both Disco, Hair Metal and this fad are all pushing up daisies. Smile As if the lenses used in the 80s weren't soft enough! Smile
It appears the DS lens usies an apodosation coating, rather than an apodisation element.
Very interesting. However, not for me.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(02-14-2019, 11:53 PM)wim Wrote: It appears the DS lens usies an apodosation coating, rather than an apodisation element.

Kind regards, Wim

As far as I know apodization element is neutral-gray tinted lens element. The purpose of this is to smooth edges.
At modern days, the same effect can be achieved by  combining depth-of-field bracketing with multi exposure, as implemented in the Minolta Maxxum 7's. Maybe modern smartphone apps already have it

Apodization sounds cool marketing bizz, but actually I use the apodization function in my everyday life - the prpose is to smooth the discrete FFT. Many windows I use . All of them are type op apodization functions.
(02-15-2019, 08:26 AM)miro Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 11:53 PM)wim Wrote: It appears the DS lens usies an apodosation coating, rather than an apodisation element.

Kind regards, Wim

As far as I know apodization element is neutral-gray tinted lens element. The purpose of this is to smooth edges.
At modern days, the same effect can be achieved by  combining depth-of-field bracketing with multi exposure, as implemented in the Minolta Maxxum 7's. Maybe modern smartphone apps already have it

Apodization sounds cool marketing bizz, but actually I use the apodization function in my everyday life - the prpose is to smooth the discrete FFT. Many windows I use . All of them are type op apodization functions.
Hi Miro,

It normally is a separate, additional element. In the case of the 85 F/1.2 DS there actually is no extra element. What Canon have achieved is a graduated (neutral) lenscoating, which will be applied to the two lens elements surrounding the aperture. They took a long time to perfect this, but can now apply this, in [rinciple to any lens, basically because it means the lens design does not have to be altered to cater for apodisation. This is a world first, and you may expect more DS lenses from here onwards.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....