Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering EOS RP, flash photography and low light AF performance questions
EOS RP seems a fine camera for me and I am seriously considering it, however yesterday I was shooting a party and Sony A6000  failed miserably,it couldn't focus in low light and had to do manual focus.
Would EOS RP fail me like that in events shooting ??
EOS RP  seems just alright for me except for events, so how do you think it will perform if I will use it  for shooting events with flash ?? using flash with my 7DMK2 in live view mode with flash has never been a great idea, the camera meters as if flash wasn't here and AF performance is disappointing, how would EOS RP perform ??
(02-16-2019, 07:22 AM)toni-a Wrote: EOS RP seems a fine camera for me and I am seriously considering it, however yesterday I was shooting a party and Sony A6000  failed miserably,it couldn't focus in low light and had to do manual focus.
Would EOS RP fail me like that in events shooting ??
EOS RP  seems just alright for me except for events, so how do you think it will perform if I will use it  for shooting events with flash ?? using flash with my 7DMK2 in live view mode with flash has never been a great idea, the camera meters as if flash wasn't here and AF performance is disappointing, how would EOS RP perform ??

Toni-a, if you have problems with flash and a 7D II from a metering POV at weddings, I'd sincerely suggest you acquire a few books on the use of flash photography with one or more chapters on shooting wedding type environments, and practice a lot.

As to focusing: the RP uses the same system as the RF, so I'd expect it to focus correctly up to -6 EV or slightly more light (-5 EV?), which essentially is a starlit type of environment.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I have no problem with flash , have been using flashes since 2004, on 300D, 30D, 5D, 750D and 7Dmk2 with absolutely no issues, 7Dmkii meters as if flash isn't mounted when in live view and in AV mode, couldn't find a way to change the way it meters flash in live view mode for AV mode there's a custom function, I don't need anyway
(02-16-2019, 10:54 AM)toni-a Wrote: I have no problem with flash , have been using flashes since 2004, on 300D, 30D, 5D, 750D and 7Dmk2 with absolutely no issues, 7Dmkii meters as if flash isn't mounted when in live view and in AV mode, couldn't find a way to change the way it meters flash in live view mode for AV mode there's a custom function, I don't need anyway

Ah, sorry, overleaked the LiveView part. I do not think there is the possibility to change that in LiveView - when I use flash, I never use LiveView at the same time. I did get myself a fancy flashmeter, however, and that actually does help.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Even with the EOS RP you will end with heavy FF lenses.

As far as AF is concerned I'd say that the latest gen mirrorless cams are all good enough for pretty much everything.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I thinks tat toni is refferenig to limitation of Infra-red AF on all mirrorless. more on this here
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/034902...era-offers
(02-17-2019, 11:33 AM)miro Wrote: I thinks tat toni is refferenig to limitation of Infra-red AF on all mirrorless. more on this here
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/034902...era-offers

exactly !!!
The RP with RF 50mm f1.2 apparently focusses just fine in low light conditions. With AF point limitations. But probably not what you were looking to spend?
(02-17-2019, 05:40 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: The RP with RF 50mm f1.2 apparently focusses just fine in low light conditions. With AF point limitations. But probably not what you were looking to spend?

Price aside, would you shoot events with nothing but a prime ??
(02-17-2019, 08:43 PM)toni-a Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 05:40 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: The RP with RF 50mm f1.2 apparently focusses just fine in low light conditions. With AF point limitations. But probably not what you were looking to spend?

Price aside, would you shoot events with nothing but a prime ??
I used too, actually, but 3 or 4 primes generally speaking (24, 50, 85, 135, on FF Smile).

Kind regards, Wim