Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fuji stuff on the horizon
To be announced at the CP+ in JP it seems:

Fujifilm X-T20

Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 WR

Announcement should take place in January, 19th, according to Fuji rumors

The 50/2 will be interesting for me. Being stupid enough to sell the 56/1.2 and get the APD-version, it suddenly appears to be an unconsciously clever move - none of the 56's is particularly fast or weather-resistant. Hopefully this gets me back the AF-speed I miss in dark situations.

The T20 was expected; just the new sensor in the T10 I think. To be honest (not just fuji) the amount of new photo equipment (both camera and lenses) seems incredible given how poorly cameras are selling.

Quote:Announcement should take place in January, 19th, according to Fuji rumors

The 50/2 will be interesting for me. Being stupid enough to sell the 56/1.2 and get the APD-version, it suddenly appears to be an unconsciously clever move - none of the 56's is particularly fast or weather-resistant. Hopefully this gets me back the AF-speed I miss in dark situations.

Won't sell mine
Quote:The T20 was expected; just the new sensor in the T10 I think. To be honest (not just fuji) the amount of new photo equipment (both camera and lenses) seems incredible given how poorly cameras are selling.

I think the situation has stabilized now and they think that there could be a small growth from here on again.

But then ... marketeers are telling you many things ...
Quote:Won't sell mine
Me neither, it has it's strengths, but it is also a disappointment - i got a bit more bokeh and lost a lot of versatility. That I could not know by trying it for 10 minutes on a Fuji fair booth and also not by reading various tests, including PZ's.
If rumours are true, the X-T20 is actually quite interesting : 

-Finally a touch screen, quite useful when done well. As there's no joystick in the rumours, perhaps touch screen for AF zone selection?

-A up&down tilt panel, very nice for waist shooting 

-4K video mode, although not my thing, the 4K of the T2 is well rated

-well, that awesome 24MP sensor is quite a big deal.

-Kit price with 18-55 f/2.8-4 - 1250€ (from a yen conversion so I expect higher)

Quite a neat little package, I think. 

I don't.

For that 24 MP sensor I get no compressed RAW files which could be processed by most converters, exception is lightroom and Iridient and the crappy Fuji junk.

up & down tilt panel? great, just forget to do portrait orientation with it.

Today a heron took off in a narrow little canyon and passed me in less than 2 m distance. I had the right lens mounted on the X-T2. But I missed all shots, because first I need to change these settings:

From AF-S to AF-C with that fiddly button with no real "click" switching. At first it was somewhere in between 

Changing from single AF-point to area.

Checking AF-settings, nothing for herons taking off from a creek with dark background and a waterfall, so which one of the 6? And how high the chance, it's set up wrong?

Changing shutter speed from A to 1/1000

Opening aperture wide

Setting ISO to Auto - 6400

Set drive mode from single to Continuos

Set grip from normal to boost

For that, I would have needed a simple turn of the mode dial on a Nikon D7xxx, From U1 to U2, from landscape to action in a fraction.

With the Fuji, it takes minutes because these "Pro-grade" cam wants me to set up and check everything before taking the bloody shot. 6 wheels on the camera, including the useless front wheel which can't be programmed to change aperture, and then the massive amount of badly placed function buttons which are easily pushed, so I need to control them always.

Okay, this once in a lifetime opportunity of seeing a heron going for food in a crowded canyon - he must have been very hungry - caught me by surprise and I'm not the experienced birds in flight photographer.

No sir, Fuji's usability is by far not on par with real good cameras. Lack of U1, U2 is inexcusable. Not being able to save the settings on an SD card and transfer it to a second body means clearly "user stay away from  second bodies, they are overrated". When set-up correctly, it's a great machine, but that's the easy part. The tricky part for the designers is, to make the set-up quickly. Some of the wheels  /aperture rings are too easy to move, others too hard or too hidden to find. Oh and have you ever tried to see a white frame as focus point, when shooting in the snow... or did you ever tried to recognize the distance scale in the EVF, more specific: the mark where I'm focusing? White numbers, no matter which background, on a white scale with a tiny white mark on a grey bar - one need to put a lot of effort in to create a worse scale.

I totally subscribe to your rant for the X-Tx line and X-Pro but I see the X-T20 as a lightweight camera that isn't advertized as a "pro" situations machine, where I agree that Fuji isn't quite there yet.

As I've written in my kina attempts (I also had a x100t loan for a couple of days), these things are glitchy. I was also unconvinced by Lightroom processing.

Still, for my "walking pace" kind of shooting, it could work, perhaps coupled with a Phase One migration (I like their engine on normal raw mosaics very very much).  

I think cameras generally need to evolve away from "mode shooting", even away from the user custom modes... 

Sadly, if we have to pick an evolution example, although unrelated to your rants, it took almost two decades to finally have Auto ISO roughly implemented to some extend by every camera makers (or is it?). So I won't hold my breath. 

Sorry for the rant, it was influenced by the Fuji rumors site which is desperately looking for "professionals" using the cheered cameras. And it's comparatively easy to say, it's not a pro-system - long fast prime lenses are missing very much.

I admit, I was not carefully studying the mirrorless market when I bought the first X-E2 a year ago, together with two nice primes. Things were going well, some Kaizen updates were stunning improvements - but the pro or x-t league has still shortcomings and quirky handling, so my enthusiasm was cooled a fair bit. But still, my back remains grateful for mirrorless.

Also the software related part of photography is bothering me more and more. So many half hearted apps around , few cool features come together will some bitter pills to swallow. Forced updates, yesterday I had a freeze of the Mac due to the new Sigma raw converter version - can't recall when that happened last time before.

5 years ago I mastered a steep learning curve wit Aperture, later with Capture One and my amateur world was alright and enjoyable. The I was looking closer, saw a difference in sharpness of the same lens due to AF problems and started to seek solutions.