Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test report: Sigma 45mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary
I quite like it:

https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaf...gma45f28fe
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Klaus, it still don't read at Sigma's statement something like "According to their definition, these lenses are targeting the broader market - balancing price and quality" (your words). And since links in the forum are not marked as links (isn't that a kind of security problem?), I just copy and paste what they really say:

Quote:Featuring the very latest technology, and combining optical performance with compactness, our high-performance Contemporary line covers a wide range of needs.

Incorporating the very latest technology in these lenses, SIGMA has solved the difficult problem of keeping size and weight low without compromising on advanced optical performance or utility. High-performance, versatile, compact and superbly portable, the lenses in our Contemporary line can handle landscape shots on your travels, casual snapshots, family pictures, and all sorts of other photo opportunities.

My perception so far was also "Art and Sports = more costly, Contemporary = more affordable". Broader market would mean "standard zooms, maybe at variable apertures" - they have some, but "only" in APS-C size - and in that segment the Sigmas are often better than the standard kits.

Anyway, I only can disagree with your last paragraph in conclusions, but that's wordings... At least on their website you can't interpret their sentence the way you did.

How solid feels the click of the aperture ring? Is it as soft and weak positioning as Fuji's which would mean easily moved accidentally?
" ... thereby embodying the Contemporary line’s development concept of “pursuing optimum balance,” ...
( https://sigmaphoto.com.au/products/00ZSGAF45MMF2.8C )

Regarding the aperture ring - in my book, the clicks are very distinct and with the right amount of friction.

BTW, as a side note - it took me a while to find the setting on the X-T30 that activates the aperture control via the front dial. By default it is was off. Strangely, it remained off when marking the dial for aperture control. Instead it was the other way round - setting the aperture to dial control.

The links have a dark blue color, don't they?

Seeing the test results, compared to lenses like cheap Sony 50mmf1.8 at f2.8 it's not better in plenty of aspects, price tag not justidied
(09-08-2019, 09:39 AM)Klaus Wrote: " ... thereby embodying the Contemporary line’s development concept of “pursuing optimum balance,” ...
( https://sigmaphoto.com.au/products/00ZSGAF45MMF2.8C )

Regarding the aperture ring - in my book, the clicks are very distinct and with the right amount of friction.

BTW, as a side note - it took me a while to find the setting on the X-T30 that activates the aperture control via the front dial. By default it is was off. Strangely, it remained off when marking the dial for aperture control. Instead it was the other way round - setting the aperture to dial control.

The links have a dark blue color, don't they?

4 Fuji guys tried half an hour to find the setting in the X-T2. I don't know how often/long I tried as it would have been helpful to control the aperture of the heavy 100-400 somewhere else than on the lens.

After a while I gave up and thought it's the same like the greyed out IS setting as long as there's no lens with inbuilt IS mounted at the body.

After all, this issue is tackled by Fuji by giving the G(FX) lenses a dedicated C-setting on the aperture ring, which again can't be locked like the dials. I'm under the impression, that Fuji's interface is a result of a lot of separate project managers who don't talk to each other or are not using their product or are, but don't know any other products. It's stupid, in short.

So you decided for the X-T30? congrats!

And the links are in the same or very very near color like the rest of the text.

(09-08-2019, 09:39 AM)Klaus Wrote: " ... thereby embodying the Contemporary line’s development concept of “pursuing optimum balance,” ...
( https://sigmaphoto.com.au/products/00ZSGAF45MMF2.8C ) ....

Ah, now I saw. That's a statement of Sigma Australia.

My link was of Sigma Japan and I don't think the 3 different lines concept was coming originally from Australia. Sorry, I go for the source, not for the creeks...

Oh and the size comparison: I'm sorry but I remain annoyingly pointing out that it's nonsense to "compare" one lens with a hood against two others without, especially if the hood's design makes it only recognizable at second look.

Attached Files
.png   screen-capture-456.png (Size: 32.96 KB / Downloads: 7)
(09-08-2019, 10:07 AM)toni-a Wrote: Seeing the test results, compared to lenses like cheap Sony 50mmf1.8 at f2.8 it's not better in plenty of aspects, price tag not justidied

Think of the Sigma as a Voigtlander lens or a Zeiss Loxia with AF - in terms of build philosophy at least.

(09-08-2019, 05:53 AM)Klaus Wrote: I quite like it:

https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaf...gma45f28fe

The minimum focal distance of 24 cm is very nice and not exactly typical in this class. Do you have some sample close-ups?

But the metal hood is no big plus in my book as occasionally it will bend when bumping against something. Would be nice to have one in the style of Fuji's 16/23/35 f/1.4 line, I really like them for their rectangular shape and sturdiness.
I guess an alternative plastic / rubber hood can be found easily?

The lens looks very nice, in appearance as well as in performance.
Does the Sigma 45 have Focus Shift?.
Looyd Chambers at https://diglloyd.com/blog/2019/20190907_...mment.html says "... It is very compact and nice on a Sony body, so it might actually be very good for landscape, focused properly accounting for focus shift
I haven't tested this. Also because it's not overly relevant on Sony cameras. They use stopped down AF as well as stopped down manual focusing.