Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL Lens Test Report - Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM
Not perfect but still great

https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaf...-sony24f14
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Being fan of 24 mm primes, this is THE lens that could lure me into Sony ecosystem. Great package all together: quality, speed and size combo that is simply outstanding. Well done, Sony.
A knockout lens it seems but come on Klaus...

"Vignetting can in an issue in RAW mode and the characteristic is somewhat worse than usual in this lens class."

How long ago have you seen the Canon 24/1.4 II. Tongue Mind you, I'm not trashing that lens - I actually own one - but vignetting control on FF isn't its strong suit, to put it mildly. Smile This Sony looks swell in comparison.

P.S. Looks like you were so excited about this lens that you called it "Sony FE 24mmm f/1.4 GM" in the Sony reviews section. Smile
(10-06-2019, 01:38 PM)Rover Wrote: P.S. Looks like you were so excited about this lens that you called it "Sony FE 24mmm f/1.4 GM" in the Sony reviews section. Smile

The delicious 24.
Indeed it is. I think I've seen a similar misprint somewhere in a review before but I need to fully get back into the "Evil Proofreader"™ mode to say for sure. Also Klaus, if you intend to keep the lenses sorted strictly by the focal length (looks like for the E mount there is no distinction between OEM and "third party" so FL is the only criterion), you'd better move the 24 GM below the Tokina Firin 20mm... Smile

OTT this lens kinda make me regret having to stick with Canon.
Sony doesn't do 1.3x crop, soon Sony you'd need a 31,5mm lens to replace that 24mm FOV you use now ;-)
I told you before but I'm not too haughty to repeat it again: I do not obsess about numbers, especially the ones to the right of the decimal point. Smile I use lenses to shoot, not to do maths about them. Smile I wouldn't mind having a wider apparent lens than what I have now, anyway.

P.S. If all goes well tomorrow I'll have another lens with an odd focal length (both stated and apparent) to irk you. Smile
(10-06-2019, 04:26 PM)Rover Wrote: P.S. If all goes well tomorrow I'll have another lens with an odd focal length (both stated and apparent) to irk you. Smile

Yay!
(10-06-2019, 05:57 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 04:26 PM)Rover Wrote: P.S. If all goes well tomorrow I'll have another lens with an odd focal length (both stated and apparent) to irk you. Smile

Yay!

So, yeah. Smile I decided not to wait for Klaus to test it and bite the bullet.
[Image: 2jgOEiwjaY4.jpg]
Would've been even cooler to flank the 24-85mm lens with a 24mm and a 85mm but we gots what we gots... a 85mm purchase is pretty far down the track as far as I'm concerned...
Marcus probably has that lens waiting in the wings ;-).

How fast does it focus, is it as "slow" as the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM?