Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony FE lenses on the Z7
Does anyone here happen to have experience with using the Techart Pro TZE01 adapter?

According to the specs, it allows the use of E-mount lenses on the Z7, with full electronic coupling, including autofocus and image stabilization.

If this is actually true, it would, for example, enable the use of the 100 STF OSS on the Z7... an exciting thought Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Exciting for people with a Sony mirrorless camera and a set of lenses for it, just to check if that Nikon menu is really thaaaat much better (which I doubt a bit - if one survived the Sony menu, he will find a needle in any haystack).

I don't see myself buying into Sony glass. It could be interesting to compare the longer lenses - like 150-600 or 200-500 adapted F-glass with Sony's native mirrorless 200-600, but the outcome will be nearly identical mediocre, I guess?

But okay, this way I could get access to the 3 Sigma DN types or some of Tamron's offerings. Before any of thsi companies considers to make S-mount lenses... if they consider it at all given Nikon's decreasing sales?
Agree mostly, there aren't really that many lenses that would justify investing into the adapter. As a Nikon shooter, I'd rather use an FTZ and adapt F-mount lenses to fill the gaps in the Z lens lineup (if I were serious about actually using the Z system). And I honestly don't see any reason for current Sony owners to switch or build a Z system in parallel.
The 100 STF OSS is one of the few lenses though that simply doesn't exist for any other system. And, uhm, Klaus' review copy happens to sit on my desk right now... very tempting Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

250$ promises a solid piece of gear. And it comes with a dock ro upgrade the firmware.

Sigmas mount conversion services won^t be cheaper - if they ever offer it for the Z-system.

At the moment there's a 10% rebate offering for each Z-gear. I felt tempted to get the 24/1.8. But on cameralbs I read their copy was decenterred and I already have the 24 mm covered twice. If I need faster aperture, I'll go 24/1.4 Art.
Wonder which approach is better Sony STF or Canon DS...
Last I heard, there was even a (live) EF to Z adapter so the Z mount looks like the most adaptable on the market. At least on paper.

I know I would've been adapting E mount glass if I had gone to the Z mount (the thought had crossed my mind but it's not financially feasible for me to switch to anything).
Hi there,
i just got mine and have some first impressions together with the Sony GMaster 16-35 f/2.8 on my Z7.

In a first test, autofocus was was a desaster, kind of 20/80 hit and miss in AF-S mode. After a firmware upgrade it seems to be at least much better but i need to do more testing to be sure if AF really works precisely of if i have to switch to manual focusing. Auto exposure, EXIF etc. seems to be ok.

AF/MF-switch on the lens doesn\t work, the cam is always in AF-Mode. This is not a big deal for me, because i'm always focusing with the AF-ON-Button or manually. For other users this might be a killer critera. The button on the lens is not programmeable in the Nikon menu.

I don't need the AF speed of my S-Nikkor 24-70 2.8 (which is superfast and dead on in 99,9% of all cases) with this lens, because i use it for landscape stills where i have time to do precise focusing even manually. I bought this adaptor, because Nikon still doesn't have a 2.8 16-35 on their roadmap and i want f2.8 for night skies especially with 16mm. Here (16mm) is the strenght of the Sony lens, otherwise the Canon would have also been an option.

Most likely i will keep this lens / adaptor combo even then, if i have to switch to manual focusing. The lens itself is really great (as are my other Z-Lenses from Nikon)

My first verdict: Don't expect too much and take it only, if you have a really strong reason to use a Sony lens on your Nikon and when you are willing to do more "manual" work...

Kind regards
cazul

mstDoes anyone here happen to have experience with using the Techart Pro TZE01 adapter?

According to the specs, it allows the use of E-mount lenses on the Z7, with full electronic coupling, including autofocus and image stabilization.

If this is actually true, it would, for example, enable the use of the 100 STF OSS on the Z7... an exciting thought Wink
[/quote]
These Voigtländer and Zeiss lenses are definitely worth trying on Z and any other mount that you can put them on!
Yes, there are some really interesting lenses with M-mount from both brands. Personally, however, I don't find manual focus lenses on such a modern body too exciting. Plus, most of them have a fairly long MFD, since most rangefinders go down to 0.7m (0.5m on some Zeiss Ikons). And most of the wideangles show a very high amount of vignetting.

Still, I wish there were similarly impressive and compact lenses with AF. I loved the Heliar 15 III, the ZM 25/2.8, ZM 35/2.8, ZM 35/1.4, the Ultron 35/1.7 and I assume the new Nokton 75 will be awesome, too, but I haven't handled it.

Personally, though, I'm just getting rid of all M-mount gear (lenses and cameras).

Regarding the initial topic: thanks for the feedback. I did in the end not follow the idea and reading your feedback on the adapter now, I'm honestly glad I didn't

I will personally focus more on my Nikon gear (with mirror) again.
Editor
opticallimits.com

So no more Leica M reviews? Even though I have had, and have, no practical interest in that kind of gear, they were kind of fun to read, especially when something like the SLRMagic 50 was being dissected.