Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That annoying X-T30 Q button
Thanks to a hint by someone in the dpr forums, my major issue with the X-T30 (besides its size) is finally solved (well, mostly):

Since the latest firmware update, one can assign 'no action' to a button press, basically disabling the button, at least that is what I (and probably many others) had hoped for. However, the long button press is still active, bringing up the menu to assign a different action again and again (yes, I accidently press the button regularly, I can't believe that this has not been an issue while testing the camera design before the product was released). So, instead of the Q menu, I now regularly see that menu instead.

However: one of the functions that can be assigned to the Q button is 'AF ON'. That way, accidently hitting the button just triggers the AF... no matter if it's a short or long button press. The menu no longer shows up (big relief), instead the AF may occasionally be activated accidently.
Editor
opticallimits.com

I was actually worried about the Q button as well but in real life, it's basically a non-issue for me.

The thing that drives me nuts is that the camera automatically reverts the timer to no-timer whenever it goes to sleep. That was already the case on the X-T1. WTF, Fuji.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
What drives me nuts, is the activated self timer and the missed shot, because I forgot to turn the drive-selector of the D850 back to Single- or Continuous shooting.

What happens worst on the X-T30 (and the Nikon Z, and the X-T2 and the X-E2 and most other cameras with a menu based self timer): I need to delete a blurred image. Doable, no?

I think it's a good decision to reset the self timer when the camera goes to standby. I'd recommend to switch off standby-mode for the time of test shooting and get an AC adapter.
(02-03-2020, 12:37 PM)Klaus Wrote: I was actually worried about the Q button as well but in real life, it's basically a non-issue for me.

I'm left-eyed, that's maybe why the Q-button is a bigger annoyance for me. Because my thumb happens to be a bit further to the right, usually right on that button. Also, touch AF doesn't work for me... it becomes "nose AF" Wink 

Also: just found out that assigning AF-ON to the Q button does not solve all issues: because it overrides the setting of the AF/M switch. Even when set to M, AF-ON triggers the AF. Duh...
Editor
opticallimits.com

I assigned the AEL-button to the Q-button(bump), and the Q-button to AEL.