Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest on EOS R5
(04-23-2020, 05:51 AM)toni-a Wrote: C300 sensor  showed they are capable of 16 f stops dynamic range... lert's see if the R5 will have a decent dynamic range

That will likely be a different sensor. The C300 has a sensor with each pixel effectively divided in 2, one for low levels of light, one for high, and combined that provides the high dynamic range. The read-out speed of video cameras is very high as well, without cooling problems, which is one of the reasons why these cameras are rather expensove compared to still cameras.

Also, an FF sensor has 2 1/4 the size in area, approximately, compared to Super 35, so we'll just have to wait and see what Canon can come up with.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(04-22-2020, 11:01 AM)Klaus Wrote: The EOS R5 has been vaporware for more than a year now. So it's not surprising that the old dogs are no longer lifting an eyebrow ...

Hey wake up and smell the coffee ......

That vapour-ware is now condensing on the windows ........ and those old dogs are frenetically wagging their tails both eyes wide open ......

........ utube is alight ..... those, now official video specs are sending shock-waves around the world !!
(04-23-2020, 09:16 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 11:01 AM)Klaus Wrote: The EOS R5 has been vaporware for more than a year now. So it's not surprising that the old dogs are no longer lifting an eyebrow ...

That vapour-ware is now condensing on the windows ........ and those old dogs are frenetically wagging their tails both eyes wide open ......

........ utube is alight ..... those, now official video specs are sending shock-waves around the world !!

So who can actually watch 8K videos ...? Do we have to rent a cinema?
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(04-23-2020, 10:48 AM)Klaus Wrote:

Nah ....

Just mount 4 4K monitors in 2x2 layout on the wall, or a fancy bracket or so Smile.

Of course you'd need the graphics card to go with that Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(04-23-2020, 10:48 AM)Klaus Wrote:

........  utube is alight  ..... those, now official video specs are sending shock-waves around the world !!

It's not just the 8K which I agree will be useless for most ......... but it isn't just about 8K is it? ...... it's the whole video specs in general .......
 I'll bet my shirt (unwashed) against yours this camera will be huge for Canon !! .....

...... we have yet to see other specs such as video run time in 8K ..... and the Mps ..... and a whole load of other stuff ...... possible overheating 

A new Canon body usually has a flood of folk moaning about the video limitations 
 restricting this ..... restricting that ....... not this time the absolute opposite ..... 
  ..... they are raving !!

haul me over the coals if I'm wrong !!
Canon has lacked in the processing power for a few years now, all kinds of people bemoaning the lack of full frame 4K for instance, and the limitation the cropping gave to the AF too. Now that Canon has caught up and actually leap frogs the rest in processing power, the same people now moan about the uselessness of 8K? Really?

And Dave, overheating is not really Canon's thing. For that you will have look at other brands. :-)
(04-23-2020, 12:51 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Canon has lacked in the processing power for a few years now, all kinds of people bemoaning the lack of full frame 4K for instance, and the limitation the cropping gave to the AF too. Now that Canon has caught up and actually leap frogs the rest in processing power, the same people now moan about the uselessness of 8K? Really?

And Dave, overheating is not really Canon's thing. For that you will have look at other brands. :-)

........ exactly .... with nothing to criticize ................"Forums are declared obsolete as Canon announces the R5"  

...... but hey, I didn't say it was going to overheat ...... I'm just wondering how the hell they have done it?
Folks let's face reality, who would launch a camera now ??
all shops are closed, people are in quarantine, who is buying photography gear ??
even here in Lebanon where we are doing remarkably well (we had two days with zero reported cases this week, nobody died of coronavirus since the weekend) strict lock down till mid may...
However things don't seem to be going to get any better with less than 1% of the population in the most affected countries immune... so herd immunity is far away from us as well as the vaccine.....
I am not a market analyst but everywhere I read analysts talking about a disastrous upcoming year for economy...
I am sure their product is ready When is the best time to launch it ? nobody knows, so awaiting a favorable moment, they gain time with such leaks...
LOL, Toni.

So, lets see.
First of all, according to the data from last week, in the Netherlands shows 3% have antibodies among those who give blood to blood banks. That is way higher than the baseless percentage you give.

Furthermore... Yes, the global economy will take a dive for some time to come. That will mean that less people will buy cameras, for sure. What do you think will be the best tactic, not launch an advanced new camera and let customers need to choose different brands, or launch new products so you have a bigger slice of the shrunken market?

Professionals will need to make photos, also during a recession. Canon offering advanced/highly capable models for the professional DSLR market and the higher end mirrorless market (both in APS-C and FF) will position them much better to weather the current economic storm.

And people can buy their gear online, just like they have done in the past.
Except that 3% is nothing ;-) Herd immunity is supposed to happen at 60+% I read.
Europe & the US had an exceedingly poor response to the coronavirus crisis.
I'm especially baffled by comments on how good Germany is doing but Merkel has been sacrosanct by the German press in recent years.

Anyway, the other number that is more relevant in this scope will be the jobless rate. If we are absolutely lucky, it'll be in the 10-12% range over the next few years with most countries in deep recession. Cameras are, mostly, a pure luxury item thus sales will be hit hard.

However, what could the manufacturers do about it? They will have to release new products anyway or give up. Those who are in a better financial position will win from here.
Canon will surely be among them. Sony and Fuji, yes. As for the others ...
Maybe we will see a rise of MFT ... because they could provide cheap stuff ... if they wanted to (albeit today, they are all pursuing "premium").
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji