Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Olympus lens roadmap 2020
Damage control ...

Attached Files
.pdf   olympus_roadmap.pdf (Size: 650.15 KB / Downloads: 31)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Nothing to be released until the transfer to JIP?
Hmmm...... there seems to be a sub plot brewing ...... this is a prestige lens !!
Can't they make it sooner???
The 150-400mm looks interesting if it doesn't have the same bokeh issue as the 300; but why do you label this damage control? I suppose a lot of people took the selling of assests as a negative; perhaps that is hurting sales though it might be difficult to tell with the epidemic...
(08-11-2021, 03:53 PM)you2 Wrote: The  150-400mm looks interesting if it doesn't have the same bokeh issue as the 300; but why do you label this damage control? I suppose a lot of people took the selling of assests as a negative; perhaps that is hurting sales though it might be difficult to tell with the epidemic...

Nope, they actually had to tell people they couldn't handle the requests for this lens production-wise, there was too much interest. From the images I have seen, it is very, very, very good, a stunner.
Out of my league, however, plus, I generally do not shoot wildlife or birds.

Even the 100-400 they brought out is very good, slightly better than the Panansonic 100-400, especially at the long end.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
FYI - the original message was from February 2020. At that time, it was certainly "damage control".

I'm not sure whether OM-D is out of the woods yet. Everything they released so far came from the Olympus era.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(08-11-2021, 11:12 PM)Klaus Wrote: FYI - the original message was from February 2020. At that time, it was certainly "damage control".

I'm not sure whether OM-D is out of the woods yet. Everything they released so far came from the Olympus era.

Ok, thanks, Klaus, forgot about the timing Smile.

Currently it looks like the new owners are mostly interested in high-end stuff, however. That could just be because that was because this stuff was already in Olympus' timeline. Quite a few engineers from Olympus moved to the new company, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Regardless, their products are really very good, IMO, and I will not part anytime soon with my MFT-equipment. It is just too convenient to have high quality equipment in a small package, even if peopel think the top pro lenses are too large. Compared to FF they are still very small anyway Wink.

If anything, I may upgrade my E-M1 Mk II to a Mk III Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Frankly I am starting to consider getting MFT myself.
Canon equipment is surely excellent and I have no complaints, however here in Qatar most places require permits before shooting.
Having a permit is quite easy, however asking for permits every time you wanna go to a park or to city coastline isn't convenient at all and having security agents telling you no professional photography allowed almost always at the worst moment and having to show permit is really annoying.
MFT is considered as "small camera" and it will spare me the hassle
(08-12-2021, 12:35 PM)toni-a Wrote: Frankly I am starting to consider getting MFT myself.
Canon equipment is surely excellent and I have no complaints, however here in Qatar most places require permits before shooting.
Having a permit is quite easy, however asking for permits every time you wanna go to a park or to city coastline isn't convenient at all and having security agents telling you no professional photography allowed  almost  always at the worst moment and having to show permit is really annoying.
MFT is considered as "small camera" and it will spare me the hassle

If you do go that route, I'd suggest a Pen-F and an E-M1 Mk II or III. Great combination, and obviously, you can share lenses between the two.
I find the E-M1 has the same feel as a Canon, RP with the added grip, or, even more so, the EOS R, and the images look very similar from a rendering PoV.

The Pen-F is great as a small carry-around-at-all-times camera (which I do), with the added advantage of allowing for exchangeable lenses. Basically, it replaced my Canon G10. It is slightly bigger thna the G10, but for me the possibility to indeed change lenses, just makes it a bette roption, apart from the much better IQ. I also love that little Creative Dial on the front. I use it a lot, especially for B&W jpeg output.

I also acquired the MetaBones EF speedboosters and adapter, so I can use my older EF lenses with these cameras, and that too works very well.

I love these two cameras both ....

Kind regards, Wim