Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 GM announced - unreal MTFs ...
https://www.sony.com/electronics/camera-.../sel1224gm

Wow ... look at those MTFs ... insane. Sony does have caught up with Canon's design capabilities indeed.

But that price tag ...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
It looks very good in deed. Second image was taken at F2.8 and borders look pretty good.
New algebra: 12mm=$$$$
(07-08-2020, 01:18 AM)borisbg Wrote: It looks very good in deed. Second image was taken at F2.8 and borders look pretty good.
New algebra: 12mm=$$$$

Well, the pricing of the Sony 12-24mm f/4 G is fairly sane actually.

I meant the 12mm at 2.8.
What do you think about the sample shots?
Weirdness: in the sample image which shows the focus range, the 1st option is 0.47" instead of 12mm. The rest is in mm, as is normal.
borisbg, I can't find sample shots bigger than really small, where are they?

Klaus: Here is your astro landscape lens! The price is very high, but I can see reasons for that. Yes, it is "easier" to design these UWA zoom lenses for mirrorless (due to much shorter flange distance). But that front element must be very costly to fabricate. And with its size and higher price, projected sales numbers will be lower too, making for an even higher price. The (heavier, bigger) Canon EF 11-24mm f4 L costs about the same. Luckily for Sony camera customers, if you don't use it for "astro" landscapes, Sony have the very impressive and not so expensive 12-24mm f4.

Sony: Very impressive lens.
It's interesting that all the FF companies are currently designing lenses where the sky is the only limit in terms of pricing.
Well, I reckon there's still Sigma for the rest of us.

(07-08-2020, 09:02 AM)Klaus Wrote: It's interesting that all the FF companies are currently designing lenses where the sky is the only limit in terms of pricing.
Well, I reckon there's still Sigma for the rest of us.

And hopefully Panasonic if the 20-60 is an indicator of a new affordable line.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(07-08-2020, 08:21 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Weirdness: in the sample image which shows the focus range, the 1st option is 0.47" instead of 12mm. The rest is in mm, as is normal.
borisbg, I can't find sample shots bigger than really small, where are they?

Klaus: Here is your astro landscape lens! The price is very high, but I can see reasons for that. Yes, it is "easier" to design these UWA zoom lenses for mirrorless (due to much shorter flange distance). But that front element must be very costly to fabricate. And with its size and higher price, projected sales numbers will be lower too, making for an even higher price. The (heavier, bigger) Canon EF 11-24mm f4 L costs about the same.  Luckily for Sony camera customers, if you don't use it for "astro" landscapes, Sony have the very impressive and not so expensive 12-24mm f4.

Sony: Very impressive lens.

Try this: https://www.sony.net/Products/di_photo-g...-1621.html
Thanks, borisbg. That looks pretty good. Would like to see how it does at f2.8 too.
(07-10-2020, 06:56 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Thanks, borisbg. That looks pretty good. Would like to see how it does at f2.8 too.

They care for the technical side, and forget the basics, photographer (and Sony) should have noticed horizon is tilted.... the basics...