Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EOS R5 and R6 prices
(07-13-2020, 08:25 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: If one is going to make some weird 8K art house movie with half hour takes, or a nature documentary in the Sahara where you need to film in long takes in the hope of capturing something worthwhile, maybe a (single?) EOS R5 is not the right equipment.

How I love camera forums .... (when things go adrift) ... Smile

....... not many posts ago we were boasting all sorts of miraculous specifications for the R5 ....... all formats ..... all frame rates ..... all AF modes etc ..... and were bedazzled until our heads were spinning with disbelief  .... finally our prayers are answered ... praise be ...!!

A couple of R5 pre-reviews later and a few overheating sensors ...... and the perfection bubble is burst ....... and as the smoke clears we come back to reality with a bump .... 

Canon didn't come clean here ..... while the pre-hype was in full swing ..... they should have given out the caveats as well as the headline news ..... 
"If one is going to make some weird 8K art house movie with half hour takes, or a nature documentary in the Sahara" 
 .... or any sort of wedding ...... or anything such as vlogging/sports coverage etc...... that lasts more than 30 minutes even ....... ??
 Canon should have put a fan in it ..... like Panasonic did ...... and made it switchable in the menu for when you don't need it ..... and that would have been that! ......

I now realize "Canon didn't want to let go of it's pro video camera protection at all" .... but was playing it as if it was ..... Canon hasn't changed it's protection philosophy ... point !!.....

they hadn't dropped the dropped the 30 minute limit  (the legislation terminated in 2018) ....... and they hadn't resolved the over-heating issues ....... 

Sony has !!
Of course, Canon messed up everything - where is the R5r ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(07-13-2020, 10:25 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 08:25 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: If one is going to make some weird 8K art house movie with half hour takes, or a nature documentary in the Sahara where you need to film in long takes in the hope of capturing something worthwhile, maybe a (single?) EOS R5 is not the right equipment.

How I love camera forums .... (when things go adrift) ... Smile

....... not many posts ago we were boasting all sorts of miraculous specifications for the R5 ....... all formats ..... all frame rates ..... all AF modes etc ..... and were bedazzled until our heads were spinning with disbelief  .... finally our prayers are answered ... praise be ...!!

A couple of R5 pre-reviews later and a few overheating sensors ...... and the perfection bubble is burst ....... and as the smoke clears we come back to reality with a bump .... 

Canon didn't come clean here ..... while the pre-hype was in full swing ..... they should have given out the caveats as well as the headline news ..... 
"If one is going to make some weird 8K art house movie with half hour takes, or a nature documentary in the Sahara" 
 .... or any sort of wedding ...... or anything such as vlogging that lasts more than 30 minutes even ....... ??
 Canon should have put a fan in it ..... like Panasonic did ...... and made it switchable in the menu for when you don't need it ..... and that would have been that! ......

Canon in fact has not let go of it's "pro video camera protection" at all !!....
  they hadn't dropped the dropped the 30 minute limit  (the legislation terminated in 2018) ....... and it hasn't resolved the over-heating issues ....... 

Sony has !!

Apparently I need to point out the obvious again:
I was pointing out the progression Canon has made in processing power, from lagging the competition to leap frogging them. That does not mean everyone needs 8K, or 4k, or anything in between.

But you like to troll around a bit lately, not sure why. 

So lets see. Which Panasonic camera photo camera does 8K and has a fan in it? The S-1H has a 24mp sensor and needs a cooling fan. Only doe 400bmps vs 1000 for the R5. 
And which wedding person needs 8K video from a single camera with longer than 30 minute takes? Gosh, wedding videos.... More boring one can't think of, really. And vlogging takes that take more than 30 minutes? Really?
Canon has a file 

So, which overheating issues doesn't Canon have solved, and Sony has?

Just sillyness. And let's just disregard that real video cameras have a different form factor for a reason.

And I can't find info that "legislation terminated in 2018"?
"That does not mean everyone needs 8K, or 4k, or anything in between."

This is a very high spec "video centric camera" ........

........ that's it's reason d'étre....

at an appropriate expensive price point ..... that's what the buzz is all about ...... 8K ... 4K and just about all formats ......... 

..... if you don't need all that why would you pay all the extra for it ?
(07-13-2020, 11:59 AM)davidmanze Wrote: "That does not mean everyone needs 8K, or 4k, or anything in between."

at an appropriate expensive price point ..... that's what the buzz is all about ...... 8K ... 4K and just about all formats ......... 

No, it is a high speed high res. high FPS camera (12 FPS/20 FPS 45mp), remember?
So, who pays the extra for a 1D X mk III? D6? D6? D850? A9 II?

So of course, there will be SOME people who will buy it to do 4K upto 120FPS, or 8K even. For the reast, it offers a lot of expensive stuff too.

And again, any serious/worthwhile video production with  15 minute + takes and a single camera? Who are you trying to kid? They are not serious arguments, in my opinion.
(07-13-2020, 01:28 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 11:59 AM)davidmanze Wrote: "That does not mean everyone needs 8K, or 4k, or anything in between."

No, it is a high speed high res. high FPS camera (12 FPS/20 FPS 45mp), remember?
So, who pays the extra for a 1D X mk III? D6? D6? D850? A9 II?

So of course, there will be SOME people who will buy it to do 4K upto 120FPS, or 8K even. For the rest, it offers a lot of expensive stuff too.

And again, any serious/worthwhile video production with  15 minute + takes and a single camera? Who are you trying to kid? They are not serious arguments, in my opinion.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I entitle you your's ......... just entitle me to mine and we will do fine!!
Canon R5 and R6 share the same battery grip BG-r10
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catal...rip-bg-r10
which is new for Canon usually they have a grip per camera let's see if other future cameras will be compatible with it.

However they have another grip with LAN and WIFI that only works with R5 : "Wireless File Transmitter WFT-R10A"
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/porta...r-wft-r10a
(07-14-2020, 12:00 PM)toni-a Wrote: Canon R5 and R6 share the same battery grip BG-r10
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catal...rip-bg-r10
which is new for Canon usually they have a grip per camera let's see if other future cameras will be compatible with it.

However they have another grip with LAN and WIFI that only works with R5 : "Wireless File Transmitter WFT-R10A"
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/porta...r-wft-r10a

Not really... Canon EOS 5D mk III, 5DS, 5Ds R same battery grip BG-E11.
Canon EOS 70D, 80D, 90D, same battery grip BG-E14.
Canon EOS 750D/760D same battery grip (BG-E18).

As long as the form factor and the battery technology are the same, Canon would use the same battery grip.
The R6 misses the internals for the LAN connection, hence that grip only is for the R5.