Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPhone 12 Pro ...
I'm starting to wonder how often the camera will be "enough".

I'm seriously tempted ...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
You mean "necessary" rather than enough. It's the iPhone that will be "enough" most of the time I suppose?
--Florent

Flickr gallery
I meant whether the camera(s) in the iphone are good enough for the majority of use cases now.
On paper, they surely aren't but given the computational enhancements, they just might be (other than for long tele shots).

(10-21-2020, 09:54 AM)Klaus Wrote: I'm starting to wonder how often the camera will be "enough".

I'm seriously tempted ...

<ROFL>

I would never be tempted by an iPhone, or any Apple product for that matter.
I own an iPad Pro, but only out of necessity, otherwise I would never have gotten one. And I actually hate it, so use it as little as possible Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
My phone is not from Apple (like wim, I'm not tempted by that brand at all) but it does decent photos... with many caveats. It only has one camera/lens unit which gives me about 24mm worth of EFL. It may be a good thing or not enough by far depending on the circumstances. While it doesn't fall apart completely during the night, the results there are... not pretty. Besides, I have to crop the pictures to 3:2 a lot of time if I need them to match the DSLR ones on the site, else they start to stick out with their "taller" 4:3 aspect ratio.

If none of that ends up an issue... then I get shots that, sharpness-wise, look about on par with a low-end micro 4/3 camera (or probably 1"). Sometimes it's enough, and heck, I've done pictures that ended up as newspaper front page illustrations with this phone (but then again, the recent issue has the ages-old pic from a 2MP P&S for the same purpose...) And walk out of that (pretty narrow) comfort zone though, and it starts to get irritating.
Klaus satisfied with a phone ??? i doubt that, already you don't use tiny kit lenses on MFT and prefer sharper ones .. you tried in the past Sony R1 and was totally disappointed, you didn't like Light cameras surely iphone won't satisfy you
The main problem with cell phones is the poor fun factor. I will give my phone 1/2 star, but my Fuji X-T30 is at least a 4 star.
While I would never buy a Huawei phone, I'm quite impressed by the IQ that it (& the Leica lens) can deliver. If the iPhone can push this even further, it'll be ... interesting.
I agree that the form factor is ... meh ... for "serious" photography but I'm wondering how much such a bottom-feeder could harvest from your overall photo volume.

(10-24-2020, 12:28 AM)Klaus Wrote: While I would never buy a Huawei phone, I'm quite impressed by the IQ that it (& the Leica lens) can deliver. If the iPhone can push this even further, it'll be ... interesting.
I agree that the form factor is ... meh ... for "serious" photography but I'm wondering how much such a bottom-feeder could harvest from your overall photo volume.

What is serious photography ??
I used to have this concept when I bought Sony  A6000 plus the kit lens as carry along for snapshots , while keeping 7D2 plus Canon lenses for "serious photography" then found myself using A6000 almost all the time simply because it was always with me in my car.
Which is why I mentioned "serious" with quotes ;-)
For most of us, it's a hobby.