Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An R7 with APS-C sensor to be released?
I can only say that there is a buzz about a 32.5 MP EOS R7 soon to be hitting the scene.  Considering that the R3 release is delayed, and they have not officially released the specs on it, I have a hard time taking the rumors seriously.

On the other hand, it would be a highly desirable camera.  I know the M series cameras are out there, and some people love them, but people who want to use long telephoto lenses and have access to the EF and RF lenses are going to want an APS-C RF mount camera.  The fact that it will carry the EOS 7 line prestige will mean the can sell it for much more than any M series camera!

I don't spend much time watching YouTube camera gurus, and reading rumors sites, so I don't always get the latest, but...I guess the R3 is going to be 30.1 MP!

Oh, no!  I am a rumor junkie now!

-Mac
There is an 18-45mm IS STM on the lens roadmap. Either it's an awesome FF or a cheap APS-C kit zoom.

Given that it's an STM, I'd place my bets on the latter.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(07-22-2021, 02:09 AM)Klaus Wrote: There is an 18-45mm IS STM on the lens roadmap. Either it's an awesome FF or a cheap APS-C kit zoom.

Given that it's an STM, I'd place my bets on the latter.

It is not APS-C. And I have seen no rumours about "R7"
There are rumours about an R7 - but the single-digit doesn't really translate to APS-C I'd say.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
R7 speculation I would not count as "rumours", but it can be a bit iffy to make a distinction between rumour and speculation.

Anyway, 18-45mm would make no APS-C sense.... When they would choose to do 45mm, they would not do 18mm, but rather 15mm like the EF-M 15-45mm, for a cheap APS-C standard zoom.
The rumoured 18-45mm is in the vein of the Panasonic 20-60mm f3.5-5.6 (albeit I doubt the Canon will be "as video oriented" as that one).
(07-22-2021, 07:00 AM)ttBrightcolours Wrote: R7 speculation I would not count as "rumours", but it can be a bit iffy to make a distinction between rumour and speculation.

Anyway, 18-45mm would make no APS-C sense.... When they would choose to do 45mm, they would not do 18mm, but rather 15mm like the EF-M 15-45mm, for a cheap APS-C standard zoom.
The rumoured 18-45mm is in the vein of the Panasonic 20-60mm f3.5-5.6 (albeit I doubt the Canon will be "as video oriented" as that one).

Rumor or speculation, I came across a YouTube review video describing the pro's and cons of the R6 as a sports wildlife camera, in particular how it performs for, you guessed it, birding.  This fellow who created the post is Australian.  I don't remember his name but I did save it.  Anyway, I wanted to ask a question, and was I ever surprised.  348 questions and comments hand been made.  That in itself is sort of noteworthy, so I started reading the comments to see what was going on.

So the content creator had to repeat what he said many times early, middle, and late in his video.  The mirrorless system was easier to work with than his 5D Mark IV, but 20 MP was not for serious birding.  

That is when the rumors started.  Everyone saying that the EOS R7 with a 32 MP sensor was coming out soon.

That's when I did a search and found article after article with pictures of the R7, no less.  I don't normally get excited about rumors.  This camera has always made total sense to me.  If I could afford the R5, I could probably live with the fact that longer lenses would be needed.  But if I could get the proposed R7 and stay with what I am using now, that would be better.  People seem to forget how big these image files are getting.  32 MP is no easy thing.  Now Sony FF at 63 MP?  R5 is 45 MP?  I think I will take back what I said.  32 MP is already pretty unmanageable.  45 MP might be too much of a good thing!
-------
@ Klaus:  I think I get you, but it might be a stretch.  You think 18-45mm (if I remember the range) is a ho-hum normal zoom.  It probably won't win any awards.

On the other hand, I seem to recall that you were glad to have the performance of the newer EF 16-35mm, but performance aside, might have been happier with the old EF 17-40mm zoom range.  I 100% agree that the 35mm length for the old 40mm was a big loss!

OK, enough!  I feel the buzz fading.  My R7 hopes are lying in pieces at my feet.

-Mac
It's an effin' soap opera by now. Will Canon kill off the M line? Will there be an APS-C RF line? Sounds more convoluted than the genealogy of the main characters in "Santa Barbara". Smile
I still think the E-mount makes more sense than the RF, though.
One of the reasons for not being inspired by ML is the FF sensor ....... I would like to know how many manage to fill the frame with their bird shots ?? ........ very few I would say .....
 ..... I've recently bought a used TC 14E III tele-converter to use on the AF-S 600 F4E/D500  ..... which gives a FL of 850mm (FF) and 1260mm approx. on APSc. 
...... with that combination I can sometimes fill the frame with modest sized birds at moderate distances ....... 
   aside: the 600mm F4E is not a lens which can get the most out of the TC14E III converter ..... sharpness drops by a full school mark and requires stopping down to F8 where it's sharp enough (very good as opposed to excellent).
 So how close would you need to have anything like a frame filling shot of a modest bird with even a 500mm lens ??    ......... of course I know you would have to get closer than most birds will let you !!

A good APSc MLC with super fast shooting and AF would be what the majority of birders really need ......... instead of cropping away 60% of a 50 Mp FF sensor.
If I get a D850, I don't foresee it getting a lot of use except for the largest of birds ........

Last comment is, where are the birds this year?? ....... they just haven't turned up in any numbers ......... I've never seen so few ...... worrying actually!!
(07-22-2021, 10:38 AM)davidmanze Wrote: One of the reasons for not being inspired by ML is the FF sensor ....... I would like to know how many manage to fill the frame with their bird shots ?? ........ very few I would say .....
 ..... I've recently bought a used TC 14E III tele-converter to use on the AF-S 600 F4E/D500  ..... which gives a FL of 850mm (FF) and 1260mm approx. on APSc. 
...... with that combination I can sometimes fill the frame with modest sized birds at moderate distances ....... 
   aside: the 600mm F4E is not a lens which can get the most out of the TC14E III converter ..... sharpness drops by a full school mark and requires stopping down to F8 where it's sharp enough (very good as opposed to excellent).
 So how close would you need to have anything like a frame filling shot of a modest bird with even a 500mm lens ??    ......... of course I know you would have to get closer than most birds will let you !!

A good APSc MLC with super fast shooting and AF would be what the majority of birders really need ......... instead of cropping away 60% of a 50 Mp FF sensor.
  If I get a D850, I don't foresee it getting a lot of use except for the largest of birds ........

Last comment is, where are the birds this year?? ....... they just haven't turned up in any numbers ......... I've never seen so few ...... worrying actually!!

Well, maybe you should check out POTN in that case, specifically the EOS R6 and R5 image topics.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho...?t=1517099

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho...?t=1516595

These two topics contain soem of the best bird images I have ever seen. Of course with an R5 it is easy enough to do some cropping, but even with the R6 that is quite possible.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(07-22-2021, 04:07 PM)wim Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 10:38 AM)davidmanze Wrote: One of the reasons for not being inspired by ML is the FF sensor ....... I would like to know how many manage to fill the frame with their bird shots ?? ........ very few I would say .....

Well, maybe you should check out POTN in that case, specifically the EOS R6 and R5 image topics.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho...?t=1517099

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho...?t=1516595

These two topics contain soem of the best bird images I have ever seen. Of course with an R5 it is easy enough to do some cropping, but even with the R6 that is quite possible.

Kind regards, Wim

OK Wim thanks for that ......... FF it is then !

........... fancy imagining I had a point ........ what was I thinking ??