Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7Artisans to produce 50mm F/0.95
For about ~$200!

7Artisans will ‘soon’ announce a ~$200 50mm F0.95 lens for APS-C [and MFT] mirrorless camera systems.

This was on DP Review.  The DPR readers were pretty skeptical.  Even negative.  I just want to say for me, light gathering power is almost always an issue.  Will I actually use it at F/0.95?  I don't know, but it will let me at least see what I am looking at - The EVF is more noise free and stable with more light.  I do have a lot of 50's.  And not one that is really good.  But I'm only human.  I like photography and I like something that pushes the limits.  The fastest lens I have I think is F/1.4. 

Also, 7Artisans have followed some interesting paths.  This lens would not be nearly as interesting on a DSLR.  What was discussed about the FFD having to be perfect, and MFA having to be addressed.  If it was not for the ease that IBIS and EVF bring to the table, I'd say I would never use it anyway.  As it is I would love to see what it can do.  I don't know how they can do it at this price.  I will be waiting to hear more!

Yes, my favorite camera is a DSLR.  But the promise of MFT has been the potential for small cheap lenses that make having a camera on you at all times that much easier!

In a world where $1,000 for a lens is not even blinked at.  I really want to believe that this ~$200 lens will be one that shows that photography can still be fun even for the humble hobbyist on a budget!

-Mac
Everyone and their grandmother are creating f/0.95 lenses these days. Because f/1 just would not cut it. Big Grin
Fun fact: you do not really get the faster than f1.4 low light benefits with f1.2 or even f0.95 lenses. Most of the extra light gets lost on sensor microlens level. The only reason you get shorter exposure times is because manufacturers do extra signal amplification when a faster aperture is reported, to make things less confusing. So, an f0.95 lens mostly only benefits less DOF.
(08-18-2021, 07:31 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Fun fact: you do not really get the faster than f1.4 low light benefits with f1.2 or even f0.95 lenses. Most of the extra light gets lost on sensor microlens level. The only reason you get shorter exposure times is because manufacturers do extra signal amplification when a faster aperture is reported, to make things less confusing. So, an f0.95 lens mostly only benefits less DOF.

That may be.  I am sort of a skeptic by nature.  I seldom expect things to actually work.  But this will be like entering a new universe to me, and seeing if the laws of physics apply here or not!

I have seen things with regard to low light focus that have been hard for me to reconcile. 

What you are saying about the light getting lost on the sensor microlens makes a sort of sense.  Rules apply the most reliably the closer to normal conditions that you shoot in.  For example in near total darkness it doesn't matter how fast your lens is because it won't be fast enough. 

On the other hand I guess if I have enough ambient light to see clearly through the EVF I have to believe that it will make a difference.  Now the video industry uses T-stops in stead of F-stops.  But both values are available.  Is there no T/1 lens?  So transparency will be one big question.

=========

Okay Rover, so everyone is making them these days.  Like those slacky bottom feeders ant Cosina / Voigtlander?  I think the hillbillies over at Nikon have kicked them out too.  And Canon played at that game I think back in the manual focus days.  And I can think of others...

The thing is, lacking the up to $10,000 membership fee I have always felt a little left out.  Then I fell asleep and had the strangest dream.  In this dream computers and new types of glass and manufacturing methods would allow dedicated engineers and physicists to accomplish a formerly insanely expensive specification to be legitimately accomplished on a smaller format and mirrorless platform.  So I bought one.  Next thing you know I was getting shots that would have been impossible before!   

Still dreaming, I shouted out to the guys that inspire me at Optical Limits.  The ones who love this kind of thing!  "We are getting F/0.95!"  But nobody cared Sad.  Head spinning out of control, I got up and got into my electric vehicle, charged by my solar panels and drove by the gas station where I used to stop for gas.  When I glanced in that direction, I could have sworn I saw the gas station attendant shake his fist and heard him yell:  "It will never work!"

In my dream I said to myself softly:  'I hope for all of our sake's that it does.'

-Mac Smile
T-stops do not consider the micro lens structure of the sensor, it only says something about the lens. You hardly find T-stop info anyway....

I use a 55mm f1.2 lens regularly, not for the low light extra-ability but for the sake of it.
By the way, you can test the microlens light loss extra amplification with your f1.4 50mm. When the camera "knows" it is at f1.4, it gives a bit different exposure than when you unmount the lens just enough to not let the electrical contacts make contact. The bigger the aperture, the bigger the difference between exposure times or brightness results.
A concrete example: you might choose Sony Zeizz planat 50mmf1.4 over Sony Zeiss Sonar 55mmf1.8 because you gain one f stop in low light condition, however in fact both are tf1.8, they have almost same low light performance, f1.4 version has a shallower DOF
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/
(08-18-2021, 06:46 PM)toni-a Wrote: A concrete example: you might choose Sony Zeizz planat 50mmf1.4 over Sony Zeiss Sonar 55mmf1.8  because you gain one f stop in low  light condition, however in fact both are tf1.8, they have almost same low light performance, f1.4 version has a shallower DOF
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/

You should NOT look at DXOmark "test" data. DXO's T-stop values are total and utter nonsense. They can't measure T-stops, and what they publish in T-stop values is laughable.....
Quick example to illustrate their nonsense:
Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art. T-stop "Sony": 1.4. That is impossible. T-stop "Nikon": 1.6. T-stop "Canon": 1.6. SAME optics.
You can't (easily?) measure T-stops with camera sensors.

And one stop from f1.4 is f2, by the way ;-)
BC, lenses from 7Artisan don't have electronic contacts with the camera.
(08-18-2021, 07:31 PM)borisbg Wrote: BC, lenses from 7Artisan don't have electronic contacts with the camera.

I was referring to his 50mm f1.4 to try....
I have a whole box full of different lens adapters for various mounts to MFT.  None of them have contacts.  Since I am used to using adapted lenses on Canon DSLR's I consider to use of a lens with no contacts on the Olympus to be a stroll through the park.  Of course I miss AF.  And I miss EXIF being recorded.  But on the whole, I would say shooting adapted lenses on Olympus is a blast!  I even have an adapter for 1930's vintage Zeiss Contax rangefinder to MFT.

If their are no contacts then the problem is made pretty simple.  I go into an area with controlled lighting and set the camera up in Aperture priority, and set the ISO.  I lock it on a target on a tripod and shoot the target wide open at F/0.95 and then I set it for F/1.4.  Is there anyone who doubts that the results will be that more exposure will be needed at F/1.4?

But for people who do most of their shooting outdoors with ambient lighting I do get your point.  If the sun is your source of light it is amazing how quickly being able to shoot at F/8 becomes inability to shoot even at F/2!  

But the EVF lets you see in very low light!  I think I believe it will be an extraordinary experience to walk around with this at night looking for night shots!

I'm not sure if this lens will be the real deal or not.  I'm pretty sure they will sell, if the IQ is anything close to good!