Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sample gallery: Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM
https://photozone.smugmug.com/Canon-RF-16mm-f28-STM/

Well ... you get what you pay for ...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
As in, value for money?

Considering its price, it appears to be rather good based on the images. Way better than my first ever 21 mm F/4, a demo model that cost me more than a month worth of salary ....

It basically is, converted to old money, prior to the Euro, half the price of that 21 mm new, and that is without taking inflation into account, just a literal one-to-one price comparison. And it is twice as fast, and quite a bit wider too. A 15 mm F/3.5 back then was monstrously use, and cost 10 times as much ....
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
frankly I would use this one over a biog and bulky 15-35f2.8, aside from some purple fringing few will see the difference on A4 or A3 prints

Actually I am consiedring it despite owning Tokina 16-28 that has a rather good image quality and that I almost never used
(02-05-2022, 03:14 PM)toni-a Wrote: frankly I would use this one over a biog and bulky 15-35f2.8, aside from some purple fringing few will see the difference on A4 or A3 prints

Actually I am consiedring it despite owning Tokina 16-28 that has a rather good image quality and that I almost never used
I am considering both, but will likely get the 16 first. They are quite different in use after all. However, saving for an R5 first ....  Smile
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Christopher Frost reviews the lens;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRDIYe2C0ZM

....... mixed barrel ....
It's certainly a good lens on the R6 and maybe RP. It may be stretching things from the R onward.
Without having done the formal testing, it seems that field curvature is an issue but let's see.

LOL 

A new record I think?

Attached Files
.png   16mm_raw_distortion.png (Size: 125.47 KB / Downloads: 11)

Big Grin 
A defished fisheye lens Big Grin

The amount of purprle finging is terrible.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
What I find truly disturbing: In the viewfinder, you can see a SMALLER (corrected) RAW scene than in Photoshop Camera Raw (with activated correction).
Maybe Canon DPP aligns it to the camera by using a different auto-correction method but in PS this is clearly an issue (and it's the first time that I've seen this effect).
I had to redo the MTF procedure because of this.

5.5px corner CAs (based on a distortion corrected image, without CA correction)

You don't have this every day, too.