Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L USM IS sample gallery
It's a bokeh king - that's for sure. But this strange SA feature ...

https://photozone.smugmug.com/Canon-RF-1...macro-USM/

Will do a couple more
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
It looks very good to me! It's only about $100 more than the EF 100L lens, so I can only half-heartedly complain about the price. The SA feature I agree is interesting. I don't fully understand it. Does it mostly effect the out of focus regions, or is it across the board?

-Mac
The SA feature affects the whole image frame. The portion that is in focus remains more or less intact but there is a loss in image quality there as well.

(06-29-2022, 11:10 AM)Klaus Wrote: The SA feature affects the whole image frame. The portion that is in focus remains more or less intact but there is a loss in image quality there as well.

I found that a weird option as well, at first. I guess they wanted somehow to create a lens to replace the 135 SF of yore, and probably thought it a good idea to include it with the macro. The 100 mm FL is more of a portrait FL than 135 mm is, and F/2.8 is more or less the maximum aperture you can use for a reasonable DoF for tight headshots with a 100 mm, especially with soft focus. Offering it as a separate lens would probably not have been practical from a manufacturing, sales and marketing POV. So I do understand why they chose to add it to this particular lens.

Having said that, I have seen quite a few macros taken with this lens, and IMO it renders way better than any of the older 100 mm macro lenses IMO. Despite being an IF lens, I am actually considering it as an addition to my kit because of that rendering.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Yeah, even without the SA aspect, it's a nice lens ... but big and expensive for a macro lens.